Moving Image to its own layer

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
rsmobley85

Moving Image to its own layer

Post by rsmobley85 »

I watched a SVG cuts video on how to import a svg and it goes to its own layer. But this weekend. I imported one of my svg files. It has 4 detailed paper piecing. And its all in one file. So I want to put them on their own layer.

So how to I move one of the 4 paper piecing file to its own layer. I know I can make a new folder and then move each and every color to that folder. But there has to be a faster way.

In MTC, I can add a new layer, then select the image, cut , click on the new layer and past in place and its that easy. I tried that in Ecal and it dont work.

So what is a easy way to do this with out moving each and every piece to a folder.

Also, I noticed in my workspace, in the layers window. I dont have the option to add a layer, only add a layer folder. I only have folder icon and trash can icon. Not a layers icon. And its not in the drop down.

Thanks,
Sharon
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: Moving Image to its own layer

Post by HeatherM »

It depends on how the file was made. Each separate Path will import into its own layer. Look at the the Layers window after you import the svg file. If there is a triangle next to the file layer then click on it and it will show you all of the layers in that file. This could be VERY messy, depending on how the file is made.

The best option if you do have layers and your paper piecings have some distance between them is to select everything, use Object/Ungroup, then select all of the pieces for one paper piecing and use Object/Group to put it into a layer folder. If the layers are really messy, you might want to use Object/Group to make it easier to work with.

If the file was made with everything all in one Path then you would need to use Object/Break apart, but once again that will most likely be VERY messy and should be avoided if possible.

That video was made with an older version of SCAL2. There are only two icons in the most recent versions of SCAL (2, 3, and eCAL) because each new shape or svg file is automatically added to a new layer so it's unnecessary to have an "add new layer" button.
rsmobley85

Re: Moving Image to its own layer

Post by rsmobley85 »

Thanks for the reply Heather. I will play with your suggestions and see what the best method will be.

And thanks for telling me about the two options in the newer versions. I might have to start changing the way I save my files as svg so if I have one like this one. one image per svg. So they import on their own layer.

Sharon