Trying to design this shape

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
kamilicrafts

Trying to design this shape

Post by kamilicrafts »

Can anyone help me with this? I am trying to get this shape card where only part of the image cuts out completely and am completely stuck! :oops: Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thank you. :)
Attachments
elegant tent card.jpg
elegant tent card.jpg (26.46 KiB) Viewed 5432 times
dragonlord666

Re: Trying to design this shape

Post by dragonlord666 »

I did that once in inkscape - for the life of me can't remember what I did.
I do remember it was easy once I worked it out.

I shall have a think on it and post when I have it worked out again.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
kamilicrafts

Post by kamilicrafts »

That is so kind, thank you appreciate it :)
Rosie0530

Post by Rosie0530 »

This is a very pretty idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

OK I have re-done this - it's not a quick process ;)

all I need do now is remember what I did and write it up (it will be long, I warn you all now :))

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
kamilicrafts

Post by kamilicrafts »

Wow! Thank you, look forward to it (I think! LOL!)
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

OK, here goes......... hope it makes sense.

I use inkscape for this. it might be possible in scal but I've not done it (I design in inkscape and use scale to cut)

you need two shapes, your card base (CB) and your lace topper (LT)

the card base can be a rectangle or square with a centre line (fold) or two welded rounded rectangles or squares - I shall just refer to this as card base or CB

the lace topper is the design that you will cut from the card base. I shall call this (surprise!!) lace topper or LT :)

place the LT on your CB where you want it so it goes across the fold line a little.

now what we want is the part of the LT that is above the score line (on the back) of the CB needs to be cut but the problem is, the bottom part (on the card front) needs to be cut but in a different way. the top part is an outline the bottom part we need the "holes" cut out.

so first off, we need to split the LT into two bits. the top bit (above the fold) and the bottom bit (below the fold) I find the easiest way is to draw a straight line across the LT where I need/want to split and select both the line & LT and then go

Path>Cut Path

now you have a top bit (above the score line) and bottom bit (below the score line)

if you find your LT disappeared, look at the screen and you should see the topper is outlined in lots of dashed lines - just select a stroke colour and it should appear - if it still does not try raising it (or lowering the CB) as it may be it's below the card

SAVE YOU WORK!!!!! (if anything goes wrong, you can at least come back to this part and start over again)

so now, carefully as you don't want to move anything click the bottom part outside edge and hit delete. keep an eye on what does disappear as it's easy to select something you want. if you get it wrong, undo is your friend :)

now, select a "hole" and your CB and then go

path>exclusion

this will remove the "hole" from the card

repeat this with each "hole" select it and the CB and go path>exclusion

once done, select everything and go

object>group

this is make sure that the outer top part that you want cut is not moved by accident

That should give you the card base you require. when you fold along the fold line the bit cut from the back of the card should pop up and make the card as in the pic (but with your choice of topper of course)

hope this helps.

Gaz
kamilicrafts

Post by kamilicrafts »

Thank you both very much. I don't use Inkscape but might investigate! I know how to use the path tools union etc but have never looked into the node tools to split path, will look on You Tube!! Off to learn, love to learn how to do new things :)
kamilicrafts

Post by kamilicrafts »

I have tried doing this in scal - first question do I have to create my own shape or can I use an svg lace shape? Then when I place it on the CB how do I drag a box around it as it won't let me it just selects the CB as well? If I select what I can it says the path cannot be split? :oops:
gj1

Post by gj1 »

For Scal 3

First you must select all of the lace topper(any lace topper) and go to Object and Break apart, then click on the nodes tool under the arrow cursor and then drag a box to highlight and turn 2 nodes blue and then do the Path Split Path.

Sometimes there are so many nodes in a image, that previous to Break apart you might want to do and Path Simplify, which take down the number of nodes in the image.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.