Duplicate cuts in PDF files- this includes Adobe Illustator

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
card.cuts

Duplicate cuts in PDF files- this includes Adobe Illustator

Post by card.cuts »

Several people are noticing 2 identical shapes, one on top of the other, in different situations. I've sometimes had that too, and this is where my limited research has led me:

I tracked some of these problem files to PDFs I saved using Primo PDF writer. If a shape had both an outline and a fill, then 2 shapes were generated, one with an outline and one with a fill. Exactly the same thing happened with Nitro PDF and PDF Complete. Bearing in mind that Illustrator's file format is based on postscript (PDF) this may affect some versions of Illustrator too. PDF files saved direct from Inkscape were not affected (I use V.48)

Now that I know to look out for the double lines when I've been generating PDF files via a print option, it's easy enough to check then delete duplicates, so I've left it there. Otherwise it might be possible to try different export settings to see if that makes a difference. Obviously if you only have fills, or only have outlines, you will only get one shape in the exported file.

One other thing: if you sometimes include cut lines within a shape (eg for texture or decoration, to show where to place a layer, etc) then if those cut lines are open, they may become closed when you print to PDF. Insead of cutting a flap, you will cut a hole.

I made two PDFs to illustrate what I've found. I was playing with spirals, so that's what they are based on, but it's the same for any shape except a straight line.

NB Since the upload to the board doesn't allow extension PDF, I have imported them back into inkscape and saved an SVG to show examples of what I mean.

Jess
Attachments
PDFs back in Inkscape.svg
(68.76 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
papasue

Re: Duplicate cuts in PDF files- this includes Adobe Illusta

Post by papasue »

I missed seeing this in the hoopla of Christmas, there are some really good pointers for converting files here.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
firstcut

Re: Duplicate cuts in PDF files- this includes Adobe Illusta

Post by firstcut »

I identified this same issue with PDF Creator back before SCAL could read PDFs. Fill or stroke but not both. I assume it is the same with most PDF generators.
http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/2010 ... -cutfiles/