Have SCAL3, need to buy/or upg Ecal if I buy sizzex machine?

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
Toulouse31

Have SCAL3, need to buy/or upg Ecal if I buy sizzex machine?

Post by Toulouse31 »

Hello peeps, I am so fed up with my E-Craft that I'm going to buy another machine. I'm looking at the Silhoutte or Sizzex Eclips (I think! advice and experience welcome. I am a cardmaker and would like to print and cut and do more intrikit designs) I have a HUGE amount of SVG files all ready.

I Love Scal, had V2 with my first Cricut then bought E-Craft , the matless bit sounded to good to be true, and it is!! it chews up and never cuts the same thing twice. I have wasted enough time and cardstock on it. :(

I have Scal3, love it, but would I have to purchase Ecal or can I swap from Scal3? or is Ecal sold in the UK or France bundled with the Sizzix machine???

I did try searching but could not find the answer.

Thank you.
*Eclips* with Ecal (Now dead)
Owner of purple E-Craft from hell.
Used to own old Cricut.
Scal3
gj1

Re: Have SCAL3, need to buy/or upg Ecal if I buy sizzex mach

Post by gj1 »

http://www.sizzix.co.uk/stores

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28647

Looks here like you have to have ecal for the eclips.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
Ineke

Post by Ineke »

Eclips cuts with Ecal not with Scal3
Ineke
Netherlands
Ecal2/eclips
Tam

Post by Tam »

I have both machine. The Eclips and the Cameo. You cannot cut to the Eclips with Scal3. I have that program too but I had to buy Ecal just to cut with the Eclips. I don't use the software for anything but cutting. I design mainly in Silhouette Designer ed. and I love it. But I use Make the Cut too. Ecal is exactly the same thing as Scal3 but Scal3 does not have the drivers for the Eclips. I think you would be happy with either machine.
Tam
Toulouse31

Post by Toulouse31 »

Tam wrote:I have both machine. The Eclips and the Cameo. You cannot cut to the Eclips with Scal3. I have that program too but I had to buy Ecal just to cut with the Eclips. I don't use the software for anything but cutting. I design mainly in Silhouette Designer ed. and I love it. But I use Make the Cut too. Ecal is exactly the same thing as Scal3 but Scal3 does not have the drivers for the Eclips. I think you would be happy with either machine.
Which machine is better for print & cut Tam?? I have found a few on-line places with the Eclips bundled with Ecal but mainly out of stock! seems I am not the only one after one (possibly) Can I ask why you have both machines, what does one do that the other does not? what is the blade and mat life comparison?

At least now I am clear about the scal/ecal question, thanks peeps above :)
Used to own old Cricut.
Scal3
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

I have an eclips, and really love it. My friend has both the Cameo and the Clips. She likes her Cameo for vinyl cutting, and likes the Eclips for paper cutting. And, as everyone has mentioned, ECAL is a version of SCAL3 that was made to access some of the Eclips special features. You cannot trade in one for the other, unfortunately.

Good luck!
sandyj

Post by sandyj »

I have a silhouette SD (baby cameo) and an eclips, among others.

To be honest, it would be a tough choice. The eclips (which I love beyond all my machines) can cut thicker material than the cameo, but if you want it for card making, that isn't such a big deal. The cameo does intricate cuts and print&cut can't be beat. Not to mention it can be gotten more cheaply than the eclips.

To be honest, since I've upgraded to the designer version of silhouette studio (the basic version comes free with it and you can download it from their website to play with it) I use my sil exclusively for print&cut. It is just such an effortless thing with silhouette studio, and to be honest, I struggle to do the same things in scal.

I would suggest you check out Jins blog at: http://underacherrytree.blogspot.com/

She has cutter reviews for the silhouette SD (no longer available, its being replaced by the silhouette portrait but basically the same machine) and the cameo, plus tutorials for silhouette studio. SVGCUTS.com has the best price currently for the upgrade.
Toulouse31

Post by Toulouse31 »

Thanks everyone, I have ordered an Eclips as I do want to be able to cut thicker materials and I found one at a good price bundled with ecal. Also the cost of blades and mats seems lower than for the silhoutte and I like the ability to be able to hold ANY pen to draw. Can't wait for it to arrive now. Don't know what to do with the E-craft as I cannot honestly say there are no issues with it if I E-bay the machine.
Used to own old Cricut.
Scal3
Tam

Post by Tam »

Well I see I have gotten back to this post too late and my opinion is not needed. But that is a good thing because it would be really hard for me to choose between the two machines as I love them both. The cameo to me does a better easier job of print and cut. But that's just my opinion. I love the clips for cutting my heavier card stock that I don't want to cut twice or three times on my cameo. But I think u would be happier with either machine.

The software on the other hand give me Silhouette DE over any of them. Ecal and Scal3 to me still does not compare. You cannot do things in either that u can do in SDE. Just like wrapping text to an object.
Tam