eclips is not cutting

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
veramilo

eclips is not cutting

Post by veramilo »

I have the latest eCal update (1.007) and just installed a new blade. I tried to cut construction paper using the presets. The eclips goes through all the motions of cutting and scoring, but when it finishes and I peel the paper from the mat, there are no cuts at all. There aren't even any scratches on the surface of the paper. It's as if the blade is not coming in contact with the paper. Since this is the first time I replaced the blade, I double-checked the instruction manual to see if I did it correctly, and I did.

I've been using my eclips with eCal for several months with no problems at all (or none that I couldn't solve). This is the first time I've done any cutting since installing the update so I wondered if there might be an issue with that. I THINK I did some cutting after installing the 1.005 update a couple weeks ago, which was when I noticed that my blade was getting dull so I was waiting for the new blades to arrive. I'm tempted to reinstall to an older version. Bad idea?

I desperately need a suggestion for what I might have missed or what I could try. I'm in the midst of a big project that I really need to get done!

Thank you!

(My OS is Mac 10.5.8)
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Re: eclips is not cutting

Post by mitsim »

I've updated to 1.007, and have cut many things just fine. So, I'm not sure what's going on with yours. Did you, per chance, change the blade? A friend got a new machine and it wasn't cutting, so she tried a different blade, and it worked fine (the other was a bad blade). Then, I'd check to see if the blade housing mechanism is in correctly and tightened down. Then, maybe clean the sensor on the left back of the machine, as if that gets dirty, it may malfunction. If all else fails, I'd call or email sizzix and see if they have any other suggestions. Good luck!
veramilo

Post by veramilo »

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I couldn't find anything that looked like a cleanable sensor anywhere on the back of my machine, but nothing looked dusty or dirty back there either.

It already was a newly installed blade, but in case it was a defective blade, as you suggested, I tried another new one. No change. I also put the old one back in because it was still cutting, just not cleanly, and that wasn't cutting now either. I also tried cranking the depth all the way up and the speed all the way down but it didn't have any effect either. After multiple test cuts in the same area, the paper has been getting marred if not scored, but it isn't cutting through, even after multiple passes. It's only construction paper so none of this should be necessary.

I guess I will have to contact sizzix or ecal. I'm still hoping for a simple solution.

Thanks again!
papasue

Post by papasue »

It is very possible that your blade assembly has gone bad. Mine did exactly as yours. Looks like it is cutting but the blade does not touch the paper.

Give Sizzix a call...you will have to send a video to prove what you say but after that they are very fast in getting you an RMA to return for replacement.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
veramilo

Post by veramilo »

Thank you for offering that explanation. I will call sizzix.

It's a little unsettling to have it go bad so quickly. I only just changed my original blade that came with the machine. Now I'm thinking that blade might still good. Would you say you fared better with your second assembly? Just curious whether the defective one could be considered a fluke or if I should plan to always keep a spare on hand, as I would with blades.
papasue

Post by papasue »

Sorry it has taken so long to answer.

I had my original eclips for about a year before the blade housing mechanism stopped cutting. I've had the replacement for about 2 weeks and have cut and cut.

I can't say how long it will last, but I hope at least a few years, given the cost of the machine. I think that is fair. My warranty started anew with the new machine tho. Hopefully Sizziz has figured out the problem and newer machines won't be subject to this common design/mfg problem.

I hope that Sizzix has worked with you and your replacement machine is on its way!
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
veramilo

Post by veramilo »

Oh, and by the way -- before I called Sizzix, I tried one more cut with a new blade to video it and used cheap copy paper (thin) so as not to waste anymore supplies. As I filmed myself peeling the paper off the mat, I found it had cut through. So I tried again with construction paper, but it still wasn't cutting, although it is scoring the paper (but it's set to cut). I had it set for one notch higher than the recommended setting and it was a brand new blade. For now I'm just waiting to hear back from Sizzix.

Thank you again for your help and I hope your new machine serves you well, too!

Vera
Freewash

Post by Freewash »

Same thing happened to me. Blade barely comes out the bottom of the holder. Company sent me a new (designed) holder but it's worse than the first one. I'm shocked. The first one let the blade move around randomly during cuts. The second is stable but the blade does not become exposed until setting 3. It won't even cut through typing paper at setting 6. What gives? I'm shocked!!!