Doesn't cut where it's supposed to

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
sewinspired

Doesn't cut where it's supposed to

Post by sewinspired »

I have been trying out different boxes to cut out and every time, some of the lines cut in a different place that they're supposed to. And some of the lines do not cut all the way. I have tried svgcuts files and also tried from scratch from image templates and it doesn't make a difference. Is this something to do with the eclips or the ecal? Is there a way to fix this? I've gone through so much paper because I want my boxes to be perfect and each time, they do not cut right.
polkadotty

Re: Doesn't cut where it's supposed to

Post by polkadotty »

hi what operating system are you using ecal on.

I can't use ecal at all in windows xp on my netbook as for some reason it prints a quarter of an inch away from the line but on my laptop which has windows 7 it cuts perfectly no idea why it should be any different is quite perplexing
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Did you check the blade holder to make sure the blade is inserted correctly so that the actual tip of the blade is showing from the holder? Did you check the pressure settings?

On the cuts being at a different place each time. Not sure I understand how that would happen but just some general things I'll throw out.
Are you placing the paper on the mat the same way every time?
Any chance you are accidentally moving the image in eCal?
Did you try cutting with the sample cartridge that comes with the machine and does it do the same thing?
Sandy in PA
sewinspired

Post by sewinspired »

I am using windows 7.

Checked the blade holder. Pressure settings are at the default for medium cardstock. I am using the card stock from joann's. I have the blade set at 3. I tried it at 2 and it didn't cut it all the way through.

Paper is on the mat the same way each time. (12x12 paper)
I am not touching anything in ecal or anywhere else when it is cutting. But I watched very carefully as it was cutting and the blade housing stopped in mid-cut as though it was stuck, then continued on cutting, therefore causing the cut to be off about an inch.
I then checked under the paper where it had stopped and there was nothing there. I thought it might be getting stuck on something, but I couldn't see anything that it could have gotten stuck on.
sewinspired

Post by sewinspired »

And I used the eclips with the remote and cartridge that it came with and it does the same thing. It's like it just gets stuck all of a sudden, then resumes cutting, but because it "thinks" that it just cut 4 inches (or whatever) when it only cut 3, then it continues to cut as though it had. I contacted sizzix to see what they say. Hopefully it's something minor that can be easily fixed. It's pretty much useless if it won't cut properly.
Ineke

Post by Ineke »

I noticed this "stopping" also, but it always resumes and doesn't get out of place. It just continues as it should, I got to think it was just waiting on the information from Ecal to resume cutting. Something like "spooling time"
Ineke
Netherlands
Ecal2/eclips
sewinspired

Post by sewinspired »

Problem solved! It was the blade. I put in a new blade and changed the settings to 2 pressure which previously was too light and did not cut through, but this time it worked perfectly and without any messups. Something as little as changing the blade and I went through SO MUCH PAPER! At least now I know for next time that the blade needs changed quite often. But I think part of the reason the blade went out so quickly is because when I first started cutting, I was cutting really deep, cutting foam and cork board.