Considering eclipse machine but have a question?

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
Purr'D

Considering eclipse machine but have a question?

Post by Purr'D »

Hello Everybody, I am considering purchasing the eclipse machine however I have a question. If I purchase the eclipse machine and SCAL software are there any additonal items that I would have to purchase. Basically, I want to know that once I purchase SCAL software can I make all of the projects that they offer or do I have to purchase each project separately. For example I saw a video on you tube on how to make an eiffel tower. Once I have the software can I make it or do I have to purchase the file to make to project.

Thanks,
pennsylvaniakate

Re: Considering eclipse machine but have a question?

Post by pennsylvaniakate »

You were watching a promo for a company called SVG Cuts. They are just affiliated with Craft Edge, makers of SCAL software, and the special Ecal software that is associated with the Sizzix Eclips machine. So, yes, you do have to buy the .svg kits that SVG Cuts sells to get those particular files. However, there are .svg's available from hundreds of different sources, many of them free. Or, the beauty of Craft Edge's software, you have the option to design your own files or using free fonts or dingbats downloaded from any number of free font sites. If you have any more questions, just ask!
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

Craft edge is running a special on their site
$274.99 for the clips and the software bundle
http://www.craftedge.com/purchase/speci ... izzix.html
Scrappin My Way Through
Going Where I Please and Pleasing Where I Go

Windows XP, Expression, SCAL 2.041, Inkscape 47
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

There is a learning curve on designing your own images, but it is worth the time if you like to create and do not want to be dependent on pricey cartridges. Even buying the svg packages is much less expensive than the cartridges. There are free image files all over the place. If there is a particular image you are looking for an can't find it (until you get the hang of designing yourself of course) you will find members of the board who love the challenge of creating. One more thing, the trace feature lets you take jpg images, coloring book pages and more and trace to get your own file to cut.

So, do the reading and research first and decide what works best for you.
Sandy in PA
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

No reiterate, the Eclips uses eCAL, a version of SCAL that was made just for that machine to access its extra features. It's a great machine.

And, as far as purchasing cutting files, they are so much more affordable than the cartridges that you would purchase with a Cricut. The cutting files, for example the one with the Eiffel Tower, comes with not just that cutting file, but with a box, a high-heeled shoe card, a purse and a two-drawer box. So, you get all of those files, as well as instructions and an assembly video for $6.99. I think that is the highest price for any of their cutting files. They are so affordable, and they also have lots and lots of free cutting files. Much better than paying $50 to $80 for a cartridge. And, as said before, their are thousands of free files and fonts out there for you to access. The skies the limit.