File Importation Formats

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
ScaleAero

Re: File Importation Formats

Post by ScaleAero »

Guys,

It turns out that punch pin/blade cutting pressure & depth are individually adjustable in a combination
of electronic set points and dial on the side of the punch pin/blade holder. This was found in the Sizzix
user manual.
ScaleAero
pennsylvaniakate

Post by pennsylvaniakate »

Yeah, looks like Sizzix doesn't have any forum dedicated to their machine. Weird... May I ask what it is you are trying to cut? I am puzzled as to why you have settled on the Sizzix Eclips. There are far more technical machines out there that might be more capable of what you are trying to achieve. Not wanting to take any sales away from CraftEdge or Sizzix, but the KNK or Black Cat machines might suit better. Like I said, depends on what you are trying to cut. The gurus behind Craft Edge rarely post on here, so it would be better to shoot them off an email with any questions you can't get the answers to. I have contacted them in the past about compatibility with a new machine, and they were very helpful. Hope you find your answers. These electronic cutters have enabled many to do things they only dreamed of... And we are always recruiting new members!
ScaleAero

Post by ScaleAero »

pennsylvaniakate wrote:There are far more technical machines out there that might be more capable
of what you are trying to achieve. Not wanting to take any sales away from CraftEdge or Sizzix, but the...
These electronic cutters have enabled many to do things they only dreamed of. And we are recruiting new
members!
I participate in FAI F4C Competitive Flying Scale Radio Control Modeling. The price point for Sizzix's intended
use was what got my attention in the first place. I wanted to cut my own paint masks. In addition to that, I
began to research cutting detailed faux features for the surfaces of scale models...impossible to make any
other way. These are adhesive backed and applied silimar to a decal...garnish.

I bought the software and have read the Sizzix printer manual. Adjustments are as the Sizzix tech stated...
both mechanical and electronically controlled. Dialing in on a laminate material will be an interesting task. I
will, if the Sizzix proves to be capable, offer an existing customer base a line of faux access hatches, and
surface details they would find very difficult to make on their own.

Thanks for your help.
ScaleAero
gj1

Post by gj1 »

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25599&p=99011#p99011

This fine detail(see pictures attached in link)was cut in vinyl for a bicycle frame and done with a cutter similar to what you are investigating...and as I understand it, you do not have a cutter yet...have not actually made that purchase...but rather are trying to determine what will work for your intended application, best.

Good luck to you and happy flying :)
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
pennsylvaniakate

Post by pennsylvaniakate »

Check out this discussion about precision cuts with the KNK Zing. I know it won't necessarily help you with your questions with the Eclips, but it is an interesting read.

http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussio ... ls#Item_26

If I understand you correctly, you aren't looking to cut anything thicker than vinyl, but want to know how precise the cuts will be? Contrary to SCAL 2 and the Cricut, I find the measurements with the Cameo and SCAL 3 to be spot on and have heard similar reports with the Eclipse and Ecal.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Well, here is my input. I looked at your what I think is your web site and now understand why you may be asking these questions. I am also going to assume that you have not used a cutter before so don't have a baseline to help you decide the capabilities of a machine.

My suggestion is, determine the price you are willing to pay for your machine and the profit you expect to make for the product you are providing. If you analysis warrants it, you might want a more heavy duty and versatile machine that will serve your purposes for the long haul. Possibly the eClips will suit your purposes as a way to enter the market with relatively little up front cost compared to one of the pricier machines. Then re-coup your costs and upgrade to a commercial machine as warranted. It all comes down to the approach that you think will work best for your business.
Sandy in PA