File Importation Formats

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
ScaleAero

File Importation Formats

Post by ScaleAero »

I read a sentence within the product description which brought me to ask this question:

"•Import various file formats, including SVG and PDF"

I have found this list in another section of the Sizzix site:

•Import and modify JPEG, TIFF, BMP, GIF and PNG files

I read reference to an "autotrace" utility said to be within the software.

What is the resulting file format of the image autotrace?

An integrated cut/punch depth controller would permit an integrated saved file...
Is this already a function within this software?
Last edited by ScaleAero on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScaleAero
papasue

Re: File Importation Formats

Post by papasue »

In the ecal software you "import" vector (svg) files. and use "image" for bitmap files (.jpg, .png etc)

When you save the extension is .scut3.

As to depth/pressure: when you select cut you make the determination depending on the material you are using: plain paper, cardstock, vellum etc..

Hope this is the answer to the question, if not try again.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

What is the resulting file format of the image autotrace?

You go to FILE SAVE AS and whatever ecal allows you to save the resulting traced image as, is what it can be...perhaps it is .scut3, I don't know...as I don't have ecal.

You can also take the resulting traced image and File Export as an .svg, .bmp, .png....with Scal2...like I said, I don't have ecal.

When the paperwork is referencing the other file extentions...it is referencing what you can open to auto trace regarding the picture file extentions and the .svg and .pdf can be cut right away, I believe.

That is what I know.

You could always inquire with support for more info....or others may mention more here.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
ScaleAero

Post by ScaleAero »

While I appreciate feedback, I prefer only reading feedback from individuals who own a Scuzzix and the eCal
program derived from the SCAL program. Knowing there are inherent issues which occur when intergrating
software across hardware platforms with computers...this is no different.

Answers to my questions will highly influence my buying decision as my application is an except to what the
Scuzzix is utilized to punch/cut.

I have been led to believe the Scuzzix has a variable cut/punch depth control. This was disclosed during a
telephone conversation with corporate back some time ago. There is an index on the punch/cut tin holder
which is an "apparent" manual depth control when new punch pins are inserted into the "holder".

Is there a soft controlled depth axis control in the software to accommodate different thicknesses. What is
its range. Does this control function from a "Zero" below the punch deck height? I plan to utilize the 12x24
flatbed tray to hold my substrate.

I read here that the software permits an autotraced image, preferably non-jpg for the obvious reasons, can
be saved in multiple standard graphic formats in addition to a native controller format. I listed what I found
on Scuzzix's site, though it may appear there are other import and save as formats. What are the save as
formats for the software...

1. autotrace save as formats =

2. import formats =

Thanking you in advance for your fine assistance.
Last edited by ScaleAero on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
ScaleAero
ScaleAero

Re: File Importation Formats & Punch Depth Settings

Post by ScaleAero »

Folks, contrary to popular opinion... ;^) words are not specifications, numerical values representing the thickness
of a material is the specification explicit to a given material. For example: index is a type of card / paper stock
however to utilze index as a word you would have to know which explicit index type and its thickness.

Utilizing any substrate aka material in the Sizzix it is important that the punch/cut pin be set at the proper deck
height to achieve proper performance or it simply chews or gnaws the edges ragged instead of smooth.

I have purchased the V1.02 software and will review it this evening to answer as best I can. I suppose for a large
number of users...it is OK to get close enough then you are happy with something. However, if you are going to
try to create something for sale, it has to be right...or its wrong, not kinda sorta right.

I believe there may be a miscommunication in that I am describing the punch pin and Sizzix calls their punch pin
head a "blade". Their pin has a tapered blade point to the edge of the pin.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Ed
Attachments
Printer-Firmware-Pressure-Setting.jpg
Printer-Firmware-Pressure-Setting.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 11104 times
Blade Pin Holder.jpg
Blade Pin Holder.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 11107 times
Blade Pin.jpg
Blade Pin.jpg (8.07 KiB) Viewed 11107 times
Last edited by ScaleAero on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
ScaleAero
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Your questions are too technical for most of us here and you should contact support, I believe.
Hope you find the products to your liking.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
pennsylvaniakate

Post by pennsylvaniakate »

ScaleAero, you can go to CraftEdge.com and download the Ecal software trial to check out. And like gj1 says, you'd be better off asking Sizzix such technical questions.
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

Yup, this is pretty technical for all of us here. The Ecal software saves the files as an scut files just like the scal software does. It is the same format for both. They are basically the same software; however, the ecal has added features made to access some extra features that the Eclips has.

When we choose the type of media to cut, it is in the cut menu. We just choose the media type, such as paper, light cardstock, medium cardstock, etc. There are lots to choose from and we are not having to decide what numeric value of pressure of each media. There is a pressure control right underneath that if you wanted to access a number control. But, as was said previously, you can download the software and take a look without activating it. It may answer more of your questions.
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

ScaleAero wrote:Folks, contrary to polupar opinion... ;^) words are not specifications, numerical values representing the thickness of a material is the specification explicit to a given material. For example: index is a type of card / paper stock however to tuilze any substrate within the Sizzix it is important that the punch/cut pin be set at the proper deck height to achieve proper performance.

My question relative to the software...not hardware...but software... is there an explicit soft setting for the deck height of the punch / cut pin?

Please excuse my technical focus...my world and the application I desire to utilize the Sizzix and eCAL to
achieve.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Ed

I guess you should have been more specific on what machine you were using, and that those were the only people you wanted to here from.

The best way to figure it all out is trial and error, We have all learned alot that way Good luck!

PS There are only a few people here with that machine, So you might want to try asking over on the Sizzix Forum about this. I am sure there are alot of people over there running ECAL
You might try asking them how to set your blade and how to do a trace instead of all the other Jargon
Scrappin My Way Through
Going Where I Please and Pleasing Where I Go

Windows XP, Expression, SCAL 2.041, Inkscape 47
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/
ScaleAero

Post by ScaleAero »

Butterfly wrote:
ScaleAero wrote:PS There are only a few people here with that machine, So you might want to try asking over on the Sizzix Forum about this. I am sure there are alot of people over there running ECAL You might try asking them how to set your blade and how to do a trace instead of all the other Jargon
Butterfly...

This is the eCAL forum... ;^) Note the bold forum name above... Board index >> Sure Cuts A Lot >> eCAL.
ScaleAero