Scoring

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
alliellis

Scoring

Post by alliellis »

Hi,
Can someone tell me, when scoring on the eclips apart from changing the drop down to score and putting your blade down what else do you need to do.

Thanks
Allison

SCAL 2.012, INKSCAPE, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, WINDOWS 7. Sizzix eclips, ECAL

http://www.craftoutloud.co.uk
craftsbyalli.blogspot.com
papasue

Re: Scoring

Post by papasue »

Allie, my experience with score is that the software/machine just reads that some line/elements are scored and does it without doing anything but "cut". Watching it when it cuts is that it does the score lines first and then the cuts. The most important thing I think is that you designate the type of material cardstock L, M, H. etc.

Best is to just try it with some scrap cardstock and watch what it does.

I've not had any problem getting a score line when I've picked the correct material. You can always adjust the pressure manually if you want a deeper score line.

Hope this helps.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

There are two types of score lines. Normally, the score line reads as a dashed line, which actually cuts where the dash is. So it's not actually scoring, but cutting a perforated line.
In ECAL, you can actually score, so if it is a straight line that you have added that you want scored, you need to locate that line in your layers (under Window dropdown menu) and designate it as a score line instead of a cut line. The line type appears in the Appearance menu on the right of your screen and you go to cut line type and choose score. I found that the scoring was sometime too deep so I went to the edit/preferences/elips and turned my scoring pressure down a notch. You can play with it and adjust as you see fit for your particular paper.
I love the clean lines of the eclips scoring, so if I am making something that shows the perforated scoring lines, I take the file into Illustrator and (in a new layer) I trace over all of the perforated score lines with straight lines. I then delete the perforated lines. I name the new layer scored. I always save my file with the added word "scored", so that I keep all original files intact. Then, when I go into ecal, I just designate that entire new layer I made as a score line. and cut! It cuts so beautifully!
Sorry if this was too much information. Take what you need and ignore the rest. :-)
Happy cutting!
alliellis

Post by alliellis »

Thank you both for more great advice. :lol:
Allison

SCAL 2.012, INKSCAPE, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, WINDOWS 7. Sizzix eclips, ECAL

http://www.craftoutloud.co.uk
craftsbyalli.blogspot.com