Score lines not cutting - eCAL/eclips

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Score lines not cutting - eCAL/eclips

Post by mitsim »

I have just tried to cut my first project with score lines. I was making the SVG Cuts lantern from Crisp Days of All, and made my own insert, which I welded with the lantern body. It worked great, except when I cut it out, the score lines/perforations for the folds did not cut at all. I can see them faintly on the desktop/mat. Also, if I do a cut preview showing the nodes, I see the marks where the perforations should be. Just can't figure out why they are not cutting. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!
papasue

Re: Score lines not cutting - eCAL/eclips

Post by papasue »

Hi, may I ask if you designated the line you want to be a score line in the cut style box? I did this a couple of days ago and after cutting my score lines were indentations, not cuts and it folded perfectly.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
mitsim

Post by mitsim »

No I didn't do that. But, it was designated as a perforated line. Seems like it should have cut them like it did before. However, are you saying that I can go to the individual layer, choose the layer with the perforated lines on it (that is designated as a cut line), and change that to a score line and it will score it? Would I have to change those lines to a solid line so it scores straight across? That would be awesome! Let me know, and I'll try changing it and seeing if that works. I got the perforated cut lines to cut by not ejecting my mat and by doing a second cut with all of the layers except the perf line layer deselected. Weird!
mitsim

Post by mitsim »

Thanks for your help, Papasue! I put it on the SVG Cuts FB and Leo answered my question and made it work. Thank you!
papasue

Post by papasue »

Mitsi, so happy you found Leo. I'm waiting for him or Rob (scrappydew) to get some video's up.

I had a question about this the other day, and here is what I did for her. So this is for the others who need to know. :D Hope this isn't much different than what Leo said.,

I did the Score lines..beautimous...you designate a line as either score, cut, or draw. I made a square (line style: cut). Then I made some lines with the pen tool where i wanted the score to be (designated them score_. Then did the cut. The score lines are indentions (not cut through) and folded perfectly. Yipeeee. of you need more info let me know.
howtocore.png
howtocore.png (36.82 KiB) Viewed 10924 times
Susan E

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
mitsim

Post by mitsim »

Thanks for the scoring info! I was trying to do it (but didn't know what I was doing). I have a file from SVGcuts, I believe, that is Charlotte's Favor Boxes. There are no score lines at all in the file, and I'd love to add them in. I'll give it a try. So, for just a line you used the pen tool and just designated it as a score line, and it let you add it? I thought I had tried that, but maybe didn't do it right. If there are any tricks you have, I'd love to hear. Thanks so much for your time.
papasue

Post by papasue »

So, for just a line you used the pen tool and just designated it as a score line, and it let you add it?
I'm not sure what you mean by "it let you add it" what is the it? If you mean you have an element on the screen yes you can use the pen tool to add a line. I there is already one there that is a perforation line I'd find it in the layers menu you can delete it. and then draw the line to be a score.

I'm just learning too so this may not be necessary but it is the way I'd do it.

Let me know what you learn from this.
Susan E

eClips2.
mitsim

Post by mitsim »

OK, so I've been working on this and I was able to exchange the perforated score lines with the solid score lines. Took a little work and my eCAL froze up a few times and closed down. However, when I re-opened it, it had saved my previous work. Anyway, I cut one card that had multiple score lines that were folded in different directions and it worked beautifully. I really love the solid scores as opposed to the perforated scores. They are so much cleaner looking. Hope SVG Cuts starts using the solid lines as part of the files that they sell.
Thanks for your help! If you find any fun new ideas, please share.

Oh, and as far as "letting it" goes from my previous post, I was having problems because the "program" wasn't letting me add the lines I wanted to. I just needed to play around with it and finally figured it out.
dawnmercedes

Post by dawnmercedes »

I'm still having difficulties changing perforated cuts to score lines on svg files. I go to the little appearance window on the side, select the line and change the appearance to score. But it is still cutting it as dashes. What else should I be doing to change things? Thanks in advance! I really appreciate all your professionals!
dawnmercedes

Post by dawnmercedes »

OKay...still plugging away at this...

I deleted the perforated cut lines on my file. Then with the pen tool, I drew in score lines. So, I did better. I guess I didn't capture all of the original perforated cut lines. So, practice makes perfect, right?

How do I "end" a pen line? Is there a keystroke or click? I wasn't sure how to make it end correctly. Thanks.