Important Announcement: SCAL 1 and 2

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
pixiesdelight

Re: Important Announcement: SCAL 1 and 2

Post by pixiesdelight »

hellie0h - could you please make a step by step of how to save the setup exe file??? I am not a computer person LOL but I want to amke sure I have what I need! TIA!
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I will try to answer for her, what I do.

Anytime you click to download a program from the internet, you are downloading the setup and saving it somewhere.
I just click on surecutsalot 2.043 and click run then it asks where to save to...and I pick my jump drive memory stick that I insert into the side of my computer, and click save. It wants you to save it to your computer, but I change the C:\programfiles to my other location which is E:\ or F:\removabledisc and then when it asks do I want to run, I say no...but the setup is there on my stick if I want to run it and set it up/INSTALL...which is the process when they ask all the questions of agreeing to terms, do you want it here, do you want a desktop icon, etc...so you can do that anytime from that setup.
Hope this was clear.
CarolinaMorning

Post by CarolinaMorning »

Oh No!!! Let me get this straight. You can NO LONGER purchase SCAL 1 and 2. I have 2. CE is going to support us thru Dec. 2011. What happens then? If my PC crashe( which it does a lot) and also I am planning on buying a laptop and install on it, AFTER Dec. You can reinstall the programwith the disc but if you don't have a NEW serial number from CE, it doesn't work. Now what?
Will MTC programwork with the Cricuit? Do we have to purchase a different machine.

I am sorry for the questions, but I am new at this and am really sad that I have put so much money and time in this and now it will be gone. I really love doing this craft and I know many of you that have been doing it for a long time are really sick. Seems there is enought business out there for everyone, how long do they thnk they will stay in business now? Will be watching and reading, just makes me sick! Isn't this AMERICA????
Rachell

Post by Rachell »

CarolinaMorning wrote:Oh No!!! Let me get this straight. You can NO LONGER purchase SCAL 1 and 2. I have 2. CE is going to support us thru Dec. 2011. What happens then? If my PC crashe( which it does a lot) and also I am planning on buying a laptop and install on it, AFTER Dec. You can reinstall the programwith the disc but if you don't have a NEW serial number from CE, it doesn't work. Now what?
Will MTC programwork with the Cricuit? Do we have to purchase a different machine.

I am sorry for the questions, but I am new at this and am really sad that I have put so much money and time in this and now it will be gone. I really love doing this craft and I know many of you that have been doing it for a long time are really sick. Seems there is enought business out there for everyone, how long do they thnk they will stay in business now? Will be watching and reading, just makes me sick! Isn't this AMERICA????
MTC no longer works with the cricut either.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

CarolinaMorning wrote:You can NO LONGER purchase SCAL 1 and 2. I have 2. CE is going to support us thru Dec. 2011.
That is correct. There are some retailers that have SCAL2 on disc and you can purchase those while supplies last. Unfortunately it looks like the upgrade from SCAL1 is no longer available, just the full version price.
CarolinaMorning wrote:You can reinstall the programwith the disc but if you don't have a NEW serial number from CE, it doesn't work. Now what?
You don't need a new serial # if you have already purchased SCAL2. If you are changing computers and have already used two installs, just de-activate your
program on the old computer, then install and activate it on your new computer using the same serial # that you already have.

A lot of us are upset that Provo Craft has done this and will no longer buy Anything from Provo Craft. You can get everything you need from other companies.
CarolinaMorning

Post by CarolinaMorning »

Thanks Heather:
Another question: Since I am buying another laptop ( my old one is dead) in the near future, If I were to purchase Scal 2 from another retaileer, can I still install it on the new laptop say in a month and it will work? I am not that bright when it comes to the ins and outs of these programs, files, and pcs, so please bear with my stupid questions.
I know that when you buy the disc you get a serial number and that is how it was installed, will the one I buy now work the same way once I get my new laptop and install it on there even tho CE is no longer supporting it?

I am just wondering as I am sure others are and if that is the case, then I will buy another SCAL 2 program while I can and just keep it till I purchase thenew laptop.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
thanks.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

You said you already have 2...you don't need to buy it again. It will work on the computer you have now or a new one. If for some reason you can not activate, contact Support by email...explain and they will do what is necessary to make that copy work for you where you need it to work.
SueMargaret

Post by SueMargaret »

Hi

I really hope someone can help me. I own a fairly old cricut expression with firmware 2.0 installed. I understand to run 'sure cuts alot 2' i would need to upgrade my firmware to at least 2.1. If i do this via the cricut site using the trail version of the DS would this disable my machine from using scal 2 or is the present firmware on the cricut site ok if I do it straight away?
If not is there anyway I can upgrade my firmware to a lower spec like 2.1 or other suitable? Many thanks really hoping someone can help

Sue
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I am not sure if updating the firmware has changed yet to block scal 2 or not...seems not too long ago someone had this question and just took a chance and everything worked GREAT! My E has firmware 2.34 and I use Scal 2.

Anyone else know?
gj1

Post by gj1 »

You could probably email CE Support with this question and they might have the answer.