Cricut Expression leaving uncut gaps

eshnirvicks

Cricut Expression leaving uncut gaps

Post by eshnirvicks »

My wife has a Cricut Expression 1 that we have connected via USB to a windows 10 laptop using SCAL 5. the software works great. However, when cutting a project, it leaves small gaps of uncut dashes (see attached). This is not perferations and the gaps are in the same place when cutting the same project. The letter O cuts fine without any gaps. Curved seem to be ok. The gaps seem to occur on straight cuts. If we create a project directly on the Circuit Expression without software, the letters or shapes cut ok without uncut gaps. This leads me to believe the issue is with the SCAL software and not the Cricut machine. The Cricut Expression machine has firmware version 2.34 installed. Any help would be greatly appcreciated.

Thank you,
E S
Attachments
uncut gaps.jpg
uncut gaps.jpg (10.07 KiB) Viewed 5640 times
uncut-gaps.jpg
uncut-gaps.jpg (19.2 KiB) Viewed 5640 times
SandyMcC

Re: Cricut Expression leaving uncut gaps

Post by SandyMcC »

Make sure you're on the latest SCAL5 version by going to this link

http://craftedge.com/download/download.html

and please just download the file and install it. Don't go by Check for Updates or what version number shows when you click on the big icon for Sure Cuts A Lot at that link. Just download and install and see if the issue still occurs.

I'm not a supporter of Cricut brand cutters but there are some very experienced and helpful members at this Cricut FB group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cricutexpression

In fact, the owner of that group has been promoting and troubleshooting issues exactly like yours. You'll see lots of responses from Roxanne.

Good luck!
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
eshnirvicks

Post by eshnirvicks »

Thanks for the response. We are already on the newest version because we just installed it last week from the SCAL website. I'll check out the FB link. Hopefully they have a solution.

Thanks again,

E S
ImakeCards

Post by ImakeCards »

I am having a similar problem with gaps in my straight cuts. Did you find a resolution to this issue?

I have the latest versions of SCAL5 (5.053) and libcutter installed.

Thanks for any insight.
Algorithm

Post by Algorithm »

Small world. Also dealing with this.

So the first attempt i made at cutting produced nearly perfect results. Although for example the Ä from guang font produced uneven lines on the inner triangle. But every shape was fully cut around. To try to solve the slight dilemma with lines, i modified the keys.h file. That made the Ä inner triangle perfect in shape, also made traces of images cut the shape better than before? But then none of the lines close hardly. I tried every variant i could think to try with variables in key.h file. No cigar though. Im on a shitty phone right now but i will try to upload pictures. Hopefully we can solve this. Hopefully someone already knows the answer to contribute. Btw i can upload the keys file/code for people who complained about lines being wonky. Might help figuring the solution. Anyway thanks
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Because the developer does not communicate what changes have been made in each update, you will need to go to the web site and download the latest version every few weeks and test to see if it's been fixed. Note that Help>Check for Updates is always broken, so do NOT rely on that. The link you need is earlier in this thread.
Sandy McCauley
BLoftis

Post by BLoftis »

I uninstalled and re-installed libcutter again. I'm still having the same problem with it leaving parts uncut. A while ago I filled out the form to submit a question to Craft Edge about it, but still no response from them.
Attachments
PXL_20210321_203514847.jpg
PXL_20210321_203514847.jpg (378.76 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

The developer releases updates very frequently without notifying anyone. Using Help>Check for Updates does NOT work. Neither does checking to see what version number is indicated on the web site. The only way to know if your issue has been fixed is to periodically (as in every few weeks) download the latest file and the version number will be in the file name. The link to use is posted in a prior post in this thread. Hope that MIGHT address this issue, but I really wouldn't know since I don't own Cricut cutters.
Sandy McCauley
BLoftis

Post by BLoftis »

I just downloaded the latest version of SCAL5 (5.056) and libcutter plugin. Same problem, gaps in cuts. I've submitted two requests for help to Craft Edge but no response to either request. :(
BLoftis

Post by BLoftis »

I'm going to try to upgrade my PC to Windows 10 to see if that makes a difference. Waiting on new USB to download W10 iso file to prior to installation.