Which software to purchase

Nanavirginnia

Which software to purchase

Post by Nanavirginnia »

I have brother SCANNCUT and Craftwell Theresa Collins Cutnboss, but cannot understand instructions for Brother's software "canvas". So am considering buying software for SCAL or make the cut. Any suggestions to which is easier to understand? I would be making my patterns and printing out then scan to brother to cut out. I use ipad4 and have windows 8 (soon to be upgraded to windows 10) on laptop.

There is a trial version for either of these software I am considering, but when I click on software name it wants me to buy it.

I am tired of spending so much (Thousands so far for everything I have, not even counting cardstock and ink and other such expendables, you ALL know what I mean!) I don't want to buy any more expensive dies just to use a few times, etc. I want to make everything with software and print and cut out on my current machines. All I want to do is make sentiments for my cards (even $60 for either software is a lot but if it does what I want I will actually save money by not buying dies!! Ya'll know I could only buy maybe 2 dies for that price)lol

Here is what I want to do: create words in software, move letters closer together and weld or (?) to make one image all put together as one image and to cut all at the same time, in other words it will be like one long word. I hope this is clear enough, as I don't know what words ya'll use for your software/machines.

I enjoy just reading these forums and appreciate any suggestions.
MeFlick

Re: Which software to purchase

Post by MeFlick »

Welcome. Everybody has their favorite software. Often, its the one we used and learned first or the one that works more like our Brain works. Users on each forum are going to give you the nod toward that program most often as that tends to be their program of choice (which is why they are on that forum.) I have both MTC and SCAL and have had them both since they were first released. Both are excellent programs and offer lots of tools and features. Both will do what you are wanting to do. However, you will have to take some time to learn the programs and the features. Both have support forums but this one is not as active right now as the one for the other program. There is probably more "help" with a manual and written tutorials and such for the other program as well but I have seen more recently for SCAL which is great for new users. SCAL has introduced a lot of new things with version 4 as well. Only you can decide which is the best for you. What I prefer may be different for different reasons then what you or another prefer.

You can download free trials of both programs from their home pages. You do not need to buy them. On the SCAL site - its the craftedge.com site and then go to the downloads area and download do not buy. SCAL does have a time limit on its trial version. I am not comfortable giving a link to the other program's information here on SCAL's forum, but you can download it from their home page and again, you should not need to buy it there either. If you still have trouble with it, you might contact the support for each site.

IF you are not planning on getting a new cutter, but want to be able to export your files created to cut to your Brother's Scan n Cut machine then you will want to probably give the nod to SCAL as it has an export to Brother's FCM format and MTC does not presently offer that. However, you will still need to use the Canvas program to connect and cut the file to the Brother machine. This means you will have to get somewhat comfortable with that program in order to do that.

Good luck. I decided against the Brother Scan n Cut because it didn't offer anything I couldn't already do with my cutters, scanner, and these programs so I am not at all familiar with that setup but I do know that I have seen others who have it and like you, don't like the Canvas program.
Nanavirginnia

Post by Nanavirginnia »

Thanks very much for your informed reply. I'll try again to download the trials.
MeFlick

Post by MeFlick »

You are welcome. I am on both forums with the same user name so feel free to pm me either place if you have trouble with getting the trial versions and I can try to help.
Rorysnonna

Post by Rorysnonna »

I have both SCAL4 and MTC and like MeFlick I have had them from the onset. I love and use both. I also have the Brother SnC. I also dislike their canvas software. I use SCAL4 to design my file and export as .fcm to my computers desktop. I then move the file to a usb drive and insert it into the Brother SnC. Then cut the file. I bypass canvas completely. I got the SCAL4 upgrade just for this purpose. I use my SnC more now thanks to SCAL. I use my MTC when using my ZING. Both programs offer great options. I don't think I'd be happy with just one. Hope this helps,
Lysa