Printing from SCAL using K rather than rich black? Help!

StaceySansom

Printing from SCAL using K rather than rich black? Help!

Post by StaceySansom »

Hello!

This probably has a really obvious solution but I'm absolutely tearing my hair out here...

I use a digital printer (a Sharp MX2640) for my print and cut, and I've been struggling lately with the quality, especially with text, it seems my registration is a little out causing magenta and cyan lines around everything but the technicians reckon they can't get it any closer (hmm, I'm not convinced!)...

Anyway, I finally managed to get a really good print quality by printing direct from Illustrator making sure all my black text was set to outlines and using 100% K rather than the CMY Mix... this solved the problem great, however when I export to SCAL it seems to want to revert back to using the mix settings rather than my 100% K and the print quality is a million times worse, the text is barely readable! Is there any way I can get SCAL to work with these settings that I dictate in illustrator or is it just gonna do its own thing?

I've even tried adding registration marks manually in illustrator so I can print from there but it just isn't lining up correctly.

Any ideas would be welcomed, as I've got a job on at the moment that I just can't finish unless I suss this out!

Thank you :) Stacey
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: Printing from SCAL using K rather than rich black? Help!

Post by HeatherM »

I don't think SCAL uses color profiles. You might try what I did when I needed to send files to the print shop for multiples for print2cut. I printed to PDF with registration marks. In my case I had the print shop print the files and then I cut all of them. You would just open the PDF in AI and print from there (adjusting color working space/profile from there if needed).
SCH Design

Re: Printing from SCAL using K rather than rich black? Help!

Post by SCH Design »

I ran into the same problem. Atomicimprints made a great tutorial that you may find works out really well for what you need. You can find the tutorial here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=40198