Print to cut

Paula Anne

Print to cut

Post by Paula Anne »

Hi. I am using the tutorial that was listed on the forum
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28253
And I am using the one from SVG Cuts.

I still can't get it to work. I want to cut a rectangle around my text (since I don't have the right size punch).
So, I enter my text, place a rectangle around it. I set my text to print and the rectangle to cut.
My text prints out. No box visible since I changed the color to none so the box would not be drawn, just cut...hopefully.
I follow the instructions for the registration marks...everything is good.
I hit cut and it says, place pen in pen holder....WHAT?????????

Can anyone help me with this. I think 2 hours is long enough of trying without getting anywhere.
Thanks!
Paula
Last edited by Paula Anne on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Re: Print to cut

Post by sstehman »

In your "Appearance" panel, when having the box selected, make sure it does not say "Draw/Pen".
Sandy in PA
Paula Anne

Post by Paula Anne »

I think I figured it out. But, now I am having a problem with the registration marks.
My images are 1.5 inches in from top and sides all the way around but it is not enough.
Since I can't see the registration marks I am getting a bit frustrated. Ifind it hard to believe I can only print 6 boxes on a page.
All in a row down the middle of the page.

is there a way to see the registration marks as a guide.
GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!
Paula Anne

Post by Paula Anne »

OMG....this is crazy. In order to get my print to cut to work I am only allowed to put 5 rectangles on the page down the middle.
The rectangle is 2.75 wide and .876 high. That's wasting over 3/4 page of paper.
They really need to figure out how to get registration marks to show on page while setting up the page.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Sent you a PM with my email. If you want to send me the file, I'll take a look.
Sandy in PA
The Elfin Forest

Post by The Elfin Forest »

I am also having a really hard time with the amount of paper waste required to use print and cut. The program will not allow any part of my image to extend 2 or 2 1/2 centimeters inside of where it places the registration marks. I used to be able to fit 4 images onto one 8 1/2" x 11" page. Now...Only one! This needs to be addressed. I know it is possible because the software "Funtime" allows you to place the registration marks wherever you want and it does not matter how close it is to the image!
aliciaretired

Post by aliciaretired »

I am having the same problems, can't see the registration marks in the software and can only print in one small area. Have any solutions been found. Am using Silver Bullet.
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

Make sure your paper size is set to 12x12. If it's not, you're limiting the area and it will say that the registrations marks are not able to be placed.
I just did a p2c, and cut nine 3.5" circles, and the registration marks printed less than a half-inch from the edge of the paper (they were actually about 1/4" from the right side of the paper), so it is possible to utilize pretty much all of your mat.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I don't have SCAL3 on this computer, but you should be able to change the distance setting in your preferences. I agree that the default setting is ridiculous. I don't like wasting that much paper in addition to the printer margins. I use a setting of 0.10 cm for the registration mark offset and place my file 0.25 inch from the corner of the mat. That gives me the dot and the inner parts of the plus sign (eCAL uses a plus/dot registration mark). Other printers might need more or less distance from the edge of the mat.
Also, if your registration marks are like a plus sign with a dot like eCAL you should be able to have part of them outside of the printable area as long as the dot is printed. You will get a warning, but select "print" to print it anyway. Try this with some scrap first to make sure that your settings will work.