TIMING OUT TOO SHORT

Shab

Re: TIMING OUT TOO SHORT

Post by Shab »

I tried using the USB-2 port, alas, I get the same negative results. I am using the arrows on the screen with a mouse of course.

The only conclusion I can arrive to is that I received a machine with a bug in it. The reason I am saying that is because from the posts so far, every machine out there can perform this simple task except my new machine. That's too bad. I will have to wait until there is a fix with the software and meanwhile think of a way around this whole thing.

Shab
Thyme

Post by Thyme »

I don't think it is a bug in that actual machine, just the way the cutter and computer are communicating.
You could try a keyspan cable, that solves a lot of communication problems
Shab

Post by Shab »

Thyme wrote:I don't think it is a bug in that actual machine, just the way the cutter and computer are communicating.
You could try a keyspan cable, that solves a lot of communication problems
Thanks for the suggestion. I am glad at your optimism in thinking that there is no hardware problem with my cutter.

Do you know of any other cases like mine, where a Keyspan cable was able to fix the problem? If so, what specific problems are you aware of that a Keyspan cable was able to solve?

Because that sounds to me like an exploratory surgery where doctors who don't know what the problems are, start "exploring" by cutting up a body and I don't want to start on that route and by buying parts I am not sure I need and installing more software which may interfere with other functions. My computer is a high-end work station which can drive other special peripherals when needed.

A Keyspan Series cable (USA-19HS) is basically a high-speed USB to serial adapter, which as far as I know requires its own software to function. Unless the serial port on the cutter receives a different protocol than the USB port, I simply don't see how such a cable will solve my specific issue.

But again, thank you for the suggestion.

For the time being, I will wait until there is a real software solution and meanwhile I will try to figure out a different route to address my problem.

Shab
Thyme

Post by Thyme »

Yes, I know of several cases where the keyspan has solved the problem.
In most of them the cutter did not respond to the command to move the laser at all.
Normal cutting was not a problem, but print and cut was.
Yes the keyspan requires its own driver to function.
I understand your reluctance to purchase other items, it was simply a suggestion to help you. Do please also bear in mind that usb communication is not the most reliable, serial is very reliable and the usb to serial is half way between the two.
If you do decide to take this suggestion, please make sure it is the keyspan model you purchase as when I was testing different models many did not work well and of those that did the Keyspan was by far the most reliable and well constructed.
Shab

Post by Shab »

Thyme wrote:Yes, I know of several cases where the keyspan has solved the problem.
In most of them the cutter did not respond to the command to move the laser at all.
Normal cutting was not a problem, but print and cut was.
Yes the keyspan requires its own driver to function.
I understand your reluctance to purchase other items, it was simply a suggestion to help you. Do please also bear in mind that usb communication is not the most reliable, serial is very reliable and the usb to serial is half way between the two.
If you do decide to take this suggestion, please make sure it is the keyspan model you purchase as when I was testing different models many did not work well and of those that did the Keyspan was by far the most reliable and well constructed.
If you have the experience with Keyspan cables, would you be so kind as to let me know the make and model number?

Thanks,

Shab
Thyme

Post by Thyme »

Hi Shab,
This is the make and model - http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/mo ... delID=3914
and if you click on the support tab on the same page there are the latest drivers available
Shab

Post by Shab »

Thyme wrote:Hi Shab,
This is the make and model - http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/mo ... delID=3914
and if you click on the support tab on the same page there are the latest drivers available
Thank you very much for the specific information. I will purchase the cable because I like for everything to work correctly. (Don't we all:-))

Meanwhile however, I have found a good solution that circumvents this whole problem. The solution works for me, but may not work for everybody.

Essentially what I have done is "Print and Cut" in reverse. I call my solution "Cut and Print". Basically I first cut the shape I want, then precisely position the graphics on top of the shape on the computer and finally print the graphics on the already cut shape. I have documented the full process in great detail including images of the stages. You can find all this here: http://gravitram.com/3d_paper_modeling.htm

Thank you again,

Shab
Thyme

Post by Thyme »

Glad you have found a method that is working for you
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

Hi Shab,

Your solution has a name - it's called a reverse print & cut - but I have always thought it should be a cut & print.

it's not used very often as it's a little longer and mostly uses more ink as you have to print the design on a sheet, then lay your cutout over and re-print.

another option may be to try the alternate print and cut called the hinge method.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

also bear in mind, even with the Keyspan the time out will still be there - it may be longer due to better communication, but still there. so as soon as the screen shows up, start moving the laser, direction is not important, just keep it moving, 1 press up, 1 down whatever - you will soon know what direction you need to move to align the laser so then you move it the correct way and align it.

do this for each reg mark and then hit the cut button as soon as you align the last mark.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave