Optimized/Adjustable cutting map

Tell us the features you want to see in Sure Cuts A Lot
Falcon256

Optimized/Adjustable cutting map

Post by Falcon256 »

First I want to say, great product, thank you!

I would like to see an option that allows me to select which cuts are done first, or, some sort of ability to calculate which cuts to complete first.

Right now the gantry and the feed gets exercised a lot due to it cutting something out at the top of the page, moving to the other side of the sheet and cutting there, going back.. so on.

Thank you for your time!

Andrew
talanhart

Re: Optimized/Adjustable cutting map

Post by talanhart »

You could set your artworks up in layers and then you could decide what and when to cut.
Todd
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Andrew,
This is a good idea as it would improve cutting efficiency and wear and tear on the machine and mats. In addition, files optimized for cutting cut interior details before cutting outer shapes so that the piece has less chance of shifting. You can optimize your own files by designing in sequence. The first things you add to the mat cut first and the last things cut last. But it takes a lot of advance planning to accomplish this and is a task much better suited to software.
Falcon256

Post by Falcon256 »

firstcut wrote:Andrew,
This is a good idea as it would improve cutting efficiency and wear and tear on the machine and mats. In addition, files optimized for cutting cut interior details before cutting outer shapes so that the piece has less chance of shifting. You can optimize your own files by designing in sequence. The first things you add to the mat cut first and the last things cut last. But it takes a lot of advance planning to accomplish this and is a task much better suited to software.
Kay,

Thank you!

The first time I cut several shapes out of a 9x12 sheet of mylar I saw the poor cricut driving all over the place to make it happen. Causes wear and tear as well as consumes time!

Thanks again.

Andrew
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

firstcut wrote: The first things you add to the mat cut first and the last things cut last.
Kay, that isn't always the case. I almost always do all of my work in Ink, and I noticed that the cuts within an svg usually follow a pattern based on how close they are to the top edge of the mat. I have had cuts with many interior pieces that I had to leave the room to save my teeth from the grinding as I watched the mat and blade carrieage pointlessly travel back and forth, doubling the time it takes to cut and adding unnecessary wear.

I would definitely like to see interior cuts made first. That would help make detailed interior cuts easier. Has anyone noticed if layer order affects cutting order? That would be one way to do this.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

I was speaking of SCAL objects and fonts only.
SVG files are sequential if you look at the xml code, but then they change and become unrecognizable when you import them into SCAL so I haven't cracked that code yet. I have had pretty good luck getting the interior shape to cut first on a frame or something, but past that forget it.
stevengolson

Post by stevengolson »

So has there been any updates on this topic? I would like some documentation that describes what can be done with cutting order by using layers. Does the new version 4 or pro help with cutting optimization?

Would love some more info about this.

--Steve