alpha fill choices

Tell us the features you want to see in Sure Cuts A Lot
gj1

alpha fill choices

Post by gj1 »

I would like to beable to adjust the alpha fill for individual objects on the mat, rather than the whole page through the Preferences section under Edit.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
mommyshome

Re: alpha fill choices

Post by mommyshome »

gj1, I don't know what alpha fill is. I found it, but I don't know what it does. Maybe mine is different though, I'm using SCAL2. I also saw on there that you can change the speed of the cutting there, I didn't even know that was there. I take it that the software controls the speed too???? I didn't even notice, maybe that's why I've had to play with it so much to get nice cuts on my fabric. Now I want to go play with that too but it seems my cricut area is blocked off at the moment.
My files are for personal use only. Please do not sell my files or items made from my files. Thanks.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I use scal2 also...and nothing will be changed in that program. But because I own that, I was allowed to download scal3 to have if I get a new machine... which I can use to design things, although I can not cut directly from it...I can create in it, save the file and then 'rename' the extention 3 to 2, to cut with my scal.

Your speed control is in scal2...medium to max...are what I usually use for various items. The pressure is set with the cutter by the turn dial and the blade depth by the blade.

The alpha fill. If you change it to say 20%, ...now go and put something on the mat...you will see it is very transluscent in coloring.
It will change the coloring of all the images on the mat that way. I would like it so that individual pieces could be made more transparent...so that they could be layered or overlap other 100% colored images and you would then see the darker image through the other one. It would be cool for making papers as was mentioned can be done with the cameo software.
mommyshome

Post by mommyshome »

OMGosh!!! That's exciting because essentially this means I can use SCAL3 to cut with my machine if I put the file through SCAL2. I knew I could download SCAL3 since I purchased SCAL2 but didn't see a reason to. All this time I never knew the speed was controlled by the software, which is probably why I kept trying to change the pressure because changing the speed didn't make my cuts better. Also this will help my mats because sometimes I'm cutting and making deep marks in my mat. I feel very dingy right now, but it's not the first time I've just overlooked something so big.

I've played around with the alpha fill on SCAL2 and I see no changes in my mat or the items on my mat. I changed it to 20%, then back to 70%, then to 10% and it doesn't seem to do anything. I also tried to change my fill on the properties to a pattern and it did nothing. I've noticed for a long time that my bring to front/back weren't working too and I've just learned to work with it by moving pieces. I think my software must be incomplete.

I understand what you are saying about changing the transparency, that would be great to get a better idea of what you are doing and how the finished product will look. I wish I could play with it too but I think I'm going to need to fix some software issues first. I am going to download SCAL3 too though.
My files are for personal use only. Please do not sell my files or items made from my files. Thanks.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

After you change the percentage lower...be sure to click OK or it won't change. Also, it will remain that way the next time you open scal...so if you don't want the transparency...you have to go back to Preferences and change back to 100%. This has thrown me off before, as I have thought at times the colors were not correct with my scal...come to find out I just did not change that back to 100%.
mommyshome

Post by mommyshome »

I did click OK and it stays on the same % when I close and open it. I think it has to do with there being no fill, I only have outlines. I can't get it to fill in the shape with any color nor pattern.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Click the dropdown by Fill: none and change it to 'color'. Then, under View at the top, make sure the 'Show Outlines Only' is NOT checked. So, many little adjustments to make...but I think this might make it work...then check the percentage on alpha again.
Normal is 100% and the color gets more transparent the lower you go. 20% is kind of nice :)
mommyshome

Post by mommyshome »

Cool, now you fixed my problem, but I can't fix yours. I was able to get the shapes filled in, now the layering works too which will be totally helpful. But when you go to preferences, it changes the transparency for the 'workspace' and I don't see anything that makes it only apply to specific shapes. Is that part different on SCAL3? I haven't downloaded that yet but I will get to that soon.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

No, we are chatting it up here, in 'Wishlist'(which is fine)...I am 'wishing' that it would work on individual images instead of the whole workspace.

I hope all the other things continue to work well for you.