Add shapes to Shapes Library

Tell us the features you want to see in Sure Cuts A Lot
DiCutter

Add shapes to Shapes Library

Post by DiCutter »

It would be great if we could add additional shapes to the existing shape library or to able to cut out clipart files.
CBJPL31

Re: Add shapes to Shapes Library

Post by CBJPL31 »

When I was first demoing my trial version I noticed the tabs...one for font, one for shapes...and I was hoping we could move our dingbat fonts over to the shapes tab but unless I just don't know how it looks like it can't be done. I wonder if it could be a possibility. It would make organizing so easy.
~Nicole~
Aussie Alli

Post by Aussie Alli »

I'd like my fonts to be seperated by font/shape also
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

Are up updated to 1.004? You can use any winding on your system. Go to http://www.craftedge.com/products/products.html and click on Free Fonts from the right-side menu. Craft Edge lists a website where you can download free dingbats. I downloaded some just tonight and am in the midst of cutting some. Keep in mind that the more lines in the drawing of the windings, the more cuts you'll have and the finished product may not be what you hoped for. You'll have to just try some and see how you like them.

I asked about .gif files. They can't do gif files. They need vector files - it's a different format, I don't know enough to explain. That said, there are so many windings that you can surely find some you like.

If you don't have the latest version, get it. They now have one window that shows you all of the letters and shapes available for each font. You highlight a font in the library window, then that font with it's available windings display in a separate window. There is no more shapes and letters window. And, you can see exactly what the letters would look like before as you scroll through the fonts without having to type anything or change windows. I love that feature! (I asked for it, but they were planning it anyway!)
mwinmt

Post by mwinmt »

I download some but how do I get them into the shapes file.
DiCutter

Post by DiCutter »

There seems to be some confusion as to what I meant by the shapes library. The software has two options to choose from the Library box. They are fonts and shapes. The fonts refers to .ttf files (true type fonts) -- this includes lettering fonts and dingbat fonts. Any installed font in your Windows/Fonts folder will appear in the list. The shapes have been preloaded in the software. While there are many typical shapes to choose from, I just thought it might be nice to be able to add to the shape library. I'm not sure what the format for the shapes files are -- I'm thinking they are probably vector based graphics. Do not be confused -- the shapes are different in format from the dingbats which are true type files. Hope my explaination helps.
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

I misunderstood about the shapes tab versus dingbats in the fonts tab. :oops: Sorry about that. I think you would have to add shapes to the file called "Basic Shapes.lcut" and I don't think you can to that. I think all shapes are compiled file in SCAL's own format. Email SCAL and see if you can do it. Curious, what shapes do you have that you want added to the shapes file?

Sorry I'm of virtually no help!
I'll just tuck my tail and go off to my corner and be quiet now...
DiCutter

Post by DiCutter »

wreed06 wrote:I misunderstood about the shapes tab versus dingbats in the fonts tab. :oops: Sorry about that. I think you would have to add shapes to the file called "Basic Shapes.lcut" and I don't think you can to that. I think all shapes are compiled file in SCAL's own format. Email SCAL and see if you can do it. Curious, what shapes do you have that you want added to the shapes file?

Sorry I'm of virtually no help!
I'll just tuck my tail and go off to my corner and be quiet now...

wreed06, please don't go off in a corner :)

I'm not exactly sure myself what the additional shapes might be :roll: , I'm just hoping and dreaming that this program will eventually let us cut anything and everthing our hearts desire. There are so many great image files out there to choose from, for example clipart, brush files, .gif files, etc. Unfortunately, all of these types of files have different file formats, therefore it just may not be possible to be able to cut with these types of files.

I just looked at the SCAL shapes library and noticed a few typical shapes missing: triangle, right triangle, cylinder, paralellogram, trapezoid, heart.
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

Thanks for inviting me back, DiCutter! Yes, there are some basic shapes that would be nice additions. However, many of the dingbat fonts have those "missing" shapes, in which case, we really have plenty.

Yes, you're right about the gifs, tiffs, jpegs, and clipart (cliparts ARE gifs). These are in a different format, and SCAL cuts vector files. About all I know about vectors is that the "lines" used in drawings have x,y coordinates. I *think* (here I go again!) that the Cricut is basically a plotter and plotters (I *think*) use x,y coordinates to cut or draw (like blueprints and maps for one). Perhaps gifs and the like do not use x,y coordinates and therefore cannot be plotted. I do not know what gifs et.al. do use, but I don't think it's the x,y axis. I don't think we'll see non-vector designs available in SCAL. Not unless they can convert images, etc. to vector and that could take NASA to do! :shock: (Just kidding.)