The Ability to Import from Design Studio

Tell us the features you want to see in Sure Cuts A Lot
mariet

The Ability to Import from Design Studio

Post by mariet »

I understand there is software that allows you to import images from the Design Studio software and then they can be resized. I would like to have that feature in SCAL.
agcsmom
Location: WI, USA - SCAL 2, Inkscape, XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro I have Illustrator but am not good with it...

Re: The Ability to Import from Design Studio

Post by agcsmom »

Marie I own that software as well as SCAL. It only does it for cartridges you own. You in essence back up your cartridges on your computer like you would a gypsy. You have to own Cricut Design Studio and the cartridges for it to work..... Not saying this wouldn't be a cool feature for SCAL but as I only own two cartridges and only have the trial version of CDS... it is less neat then I would have guessed. (You can use the trial version of CDS to back up the "basic" cartridge that came with your machine (or was supposed to come with your machine - Plantin Schoolbook or Home Accents for the Expression). I don't have either of those cartridges so it won't work for me. Although I must admit I am considering buy CDS because it would be cool to do that with Potpourri cartridge I have.... But I doubt it because I am not investing in any more cartridges when SCAL is as full featured as it now is....
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

I would think that could cause a lawsuit for copyright protection.

So far they haven't done anything to stop SCAL, but I'm sure if they found their Design Studio software and characters being directly imported into SCAL it would push them over the edge and they might try to stop the SCAL software from working on Cricut machines.
sandyj

Post by sandyj »

That was my first reaction as well - that PC would sue Andy back to the stone age! In theory, it (supposedly) doesn't violate copywright because you can only back up carts that you own, like making a copy of software or CDs. But it will also allow people to trade svgs and PC is going to go nuts when they find out. They don't even like that people BORROW carts, and they came down hard on those renting them (which I think is legal to do). Now, only 1 person has to own the cart and EVERYONE can get a copy.

I don't see the 800 pound gorilla letting this slide, legal or not.

I don't use carts, but tried backing up Plantain School Book with trial versions or DS and MTC. Worked like a charm. MTC puts a big X over the images in the svg file because I only have the trial version of MTC, but if you open the svg in inkscape, you can get rid of it. I was able to 'fix' the bags they have on there (hated the folding line gashes) and am now cutting them, which I wouldn't have done before. If I were able to get DS super cheap, I might actually buy the bags and boxes carts, which is the only one I'm tempted by. And I'd be able to change them around, which would be fun.
tessyluv

Post by tessyluv »

Todd. what can you do with the pdf files?
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

PDF files can be created to svg.. You can get a pdf creator as well that will convert to svgs.. I do this all the time.. and love it..
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Open it with Inkscape and save it as an SVG for SCAL.
Todd
tessyluv

Post by tessyluv »

I hate to sound really dumb, but how do I import it into inkscape? I downloaded inkscape then I tried right clicking on the pic I wanted to send to inkscape but it doesn't give a save as option, I hope you understand what I am trying to say. :?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

sandyj wrote:
I don't use carts, but tried backing up Plantain School Book with trial versions or DS and MTC. Worked like a charm. MTC puts a big X over the images in the svg file because I only have the trial version of MTC, but if you open the svg in inkscape, you can get rid of it.
Talk more about this... What would be a good thing about MTC + having DS and SCAL...?
..."you had the power all along"...
from The Wizard of Oz

sandyj

Post by sandyj »

*deleted*
Last edited by sandyj on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.