Can I partially cut out a shape.

bybelinda

Can I partially cut out a shape.

Post by bybelinda »

Hello

I'm extremely new to SCAL, my husbands iMac & my black cat cougar cutter. Nothing like a challenge! I've managed to make some designs but am having problems getting my machine to cut but that's another story.

Thanks to all of you who've posted stuff on here and You tube, I've learnt an incredible amount so far.

I'm trying to find a way how I can partially cut out a shape such as a flower, heart or butterfly? I'm trying to do it so I can fold part of the shape back on the card rather than cut it out completely, if this makes sense.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you Belinda
dragonlord666

Re: Can I partially cut out a shape.

Post by dragonlord666 »

Your dealer should be able to help you get cutting with the Cougar.

now, cutting part of an image.
what software are you using? just scal or do you also use inkscape or coreldraw etc

it will depend on how you want the finished item to look.
do you know of any "sample" pic on the net that show what you are trying to do. maybe then we can give you better options.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
bybelinda

Post by bybelinda »

Hi Gaz

Thank you for answering me.

I've only tried SCAL at the moment, as last week was my first time at this, but I've got Inkscape as well. I'll try and find a picture of what I mean and have a look in Inkscape.

Belinda
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

There are possibly multiple ways to do it (that's normal with the inkscape & scal LOL) but having a picture or very good idea when you want the finished item to look like will help us tell you the best way.

are you thinking of something like say a rectangle that "opens like a door"? but with other shapes not only a rectangle.

Gaz
Last edited by dragonlord666 on Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
CricutsALot

Post by CricutsALot »

Was there a good answer for that?

I tried to cut out only wings of a butterfly, to be able to fold out the wings out of the card. But when designing a stroke in inkscape, SCAL2 would link the beginning to the end, cutting the whole wing out.

I tought of making a new shape that goes back to the beginning of the wing by the same path, but the result isn't as crisp as one single cut would be :(
CricutsALot

Post by CricutsALot »

so is there no way?
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

CricutsALot wrote:I tried to cut out only wings of a butterfly, to be able to fold out the wings out of the card. But when designing a stroke in inkscape, SCAL2 would link the beginning to the end, cutting the whole wing out.

I tought of making a new shape that goes back to the beginning of the wing by the same path, but the result isn't as crisp as one single cut would be
What version of SCAL2 are you using? I don't remember any more when the ability to cut Open Paths was added, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't in the early versions. You said that you are using Inkscape, and that's a good start if you are using SCAL2. It also sounds like you created an open Path for the wings? If so then the most likely problem is that your design is touching the edge of the cutting area on the virtual mat. SCAL2 will close any open Paths that touch the edge, but it can cut open Path's that aren't touching the cutting boundary. Try nudging your file away from the edge and then use the Preview button to see if it will cut correctly. If that doesn't help then you will need to post the file so that we have a better idea of what you are working with. HTH
CricutsALot

Post by CricutsALot »

Thanks Heather.

Here is one file made with what I think should work but doesn't. Please let me know if I did something wrong!!
Attachments
ButterflyWings.scut2
(170.74 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
CricutsALot

Post by CricutsALot »

I originally had overwritten the file to make the "2-pass" version, but when I recreated the file from its intermediary SVG file, I must have made something different, as it now works properly!! I am confused!! what had I originally done that I need to avoid now???

Anyway, thanks!
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Some of the open Paths go outside of the cutting boundary (the dotted line at ~0.25 inches). Any open Paths in SCAL2 that touch or go over that boundary will act like the Paths have been closed by a line between the endpoints. All you need to do is make sure that all of the svg file is completely inside that boundary. HTH