eclips2 shredding my vinyl

Common questions/answers for new users
cynmaes

eclips2 shredding my vinyl

Post by cynmaes »

I'm trying to cut an intricate design on vinyl and it keeps shredding my design! What adjustments do I need to make? I've wasted SO much vinyl trying to figure this out! :?
SandyMcC

Re: eclips2 shredding my vinyl

Post by SandyMcC »

The settings you're using are too aggressive. I don't own an eClips2 but this is a problem that happens with ANY cutter cutting vinyl. There are two settings to check: (1) Don't have more blade sticking out of your blade holder than necessary. With vinyl the minimum setting is what you normally would want. (2) Don't use more pressure than needed for cutting that material. I assume you can find recommend settings within eCal or, perhaps, a user manual for your model?

Select a small shape for testing and start with conservative settings. It can sometimes be difficult to verify that vinyl has been cleanly cut because the cut lines will be so faint. But if you can lift away the shape with something "pointy" (e.g. awl, paper piercer, dental pick, sewing needle) you'll be able to tell, right away, if you got a clean cut or not.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/