Which cutting device do you recommend?

Common questions/answers for new users
tammyjs2014

Which cutting device do you recommend?

Post by tammyjs2014 »

OK, I've already found out that SCAL will not work with my Cricut Expression :cry:

So.....my next question is this. If I were to go out and buy a new machine......which one do you all recommend? Are there any of them that work without cartridges? Or that I could use the SCAL software and not have to pay an arm and a leg every time I want to make something new? I am clueless as to what is all out there for this. I'd love to hear pros and cons of all the systems so I can make an informed decision.
Thanks so much for your input!
Tammy
jrichards

Re: Which cutting device do you recommend?

Post by jrichards »

There are many that work without cartridges, the question is what do you want to do with a machine? Some will do paper well but nothing else, others are meant to cut heavier items and emboss, engrave etc. There are big differences in price also. If you can tell us what you cut regularly and what you want to cut we can better assist you with information.
Jan
tammyjs2014

Post by tammyjs2014 »

I love to do many crafting projects and always looking to try new things. Right now I have been mainly using my Cricut for cutting out vinyl, making stencils, and cutting paper. This is mainly because I am fairly new to this type of crafting. I am sure I will want to do more as I get more comfortable and knowledgeable with other things I could possibly do.
I would like to know pros and cons of any system, including price, limitations, etc. I figure the more informed I am, the more likely I will be able to find the right one for me. :)
Tammy
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

If you were mostly cutting paper or vinyl I would probably go with a Silhouette Cameo, but I'm not sure if it will cut stencil material. I have one of the early eClips and I love my machine. I mostly do Print and Cut with it. Both the eClips and the Cameo will do Print and Cut. Both machines cut detail much better than the old Cricuts.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

I too, have the original eClips and love mine. Just used it today and cut my image and a print and cut perfectly.
Sandy in PA
newbiecat

Post by newbiecat »

Hi

so I have a 18" Silver bullet which I adore, just returned from our retreat during which I debossed thick foil, cut hammer card (280gsm) , engraved a mirror tile, cut a zebra picture tyvek -which some people used to cut such beautifully small pieces it took my breath away, punched a Christmas tree in vellum, and created a platter from wood veneer, I also regularly use it to cut vinyl / stencils and just about anything else that takes my fancy

Now I have to stress that it is expensive and it is a serious learning curve to master it however I love the range of depth and breadth materials, force, pressure and speed it gives me

In the past I have used a pazzle - good machine but I was very new and probably didn't make the best of it and I believe the support is a lot better now. A cricut which I loved as a newbie and has great facilities, but was very disillusioned by the lawsuit which then prevented me designing and cutting my own files, plus the cost of the cartridges when I might only cut one or two of the pieces became over the top.

I have friends who adore the cameo however having read the terms and conditions attached to creating any design which seems then to 'belong' to Silhouette, and the restrictions on the 12" and the lack of ability to cut thicker materials does not suit my requirement
I wanted a machine which could tackle most anything I fancied trying out and the silver bullet suits me

I don't know anything about the e-clips but I have read that a lot of people love them , and can only comment that other people I know have been unhappy with the claims of the brother scan & cut but stress again that is 2nd hand information - I am sure many people love them

So all machines have their pro's and con's
I would suggest making a list of what you want to do which will include at least this much

1. What materials do I want to cut ?
2. What thickness?
3. Do I want to create my own designs and retain copyright to them?
4. How much time am I prepared to give to learning the machine?
5. From the websites / forums for each machine is there a thriving supportive community?
6. What is the biggest width / length I want to cut?
7. Can I find someone nearby to show what each machine can do?
8. What will I want to cut in a few years time? or eventually?
9. What is my budget?

There are probably more questions but it is getting on now so I would suggest you use these as a basis for considering and then add or subtract whatever makes sense to you. You know what your hopes and fears are and your choice needs to be what you feel good about

Happiness to me is a machine that does the things that you want in the way that you want - no machine is inherently good or bad - they are all just different like people with their own strengths and weaknesses.

What ever you choose I wish you many happy hours cutting or what ever it is you want to do with your machine
regards
Pandora
Win7, SCAL3.044, Silver Bullet 18" Craft Artist Pro, Photoshop,
tammyjs2014

Post by tammyjs2014 »

I am very excited to say that I decided on the Sizzix Eclips2 along with the full eCAL software. It has been shipped and is scheduled to arrive approximately Tuesday. :)

I've been using a Cricut Expression for 6 months or so and I most frustrated by the limitations of needing the cartridges. I have never used SVG files up to this point. I know I have a lot to learn, but looking forward to all of it. Any suggestions, tips, tricks, or resources that you can recommend would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tammy