Does the Cricut Mini work with any third party software?

Common questions/answers for new users
nineplymaple

Does the Cricut Mini work with any third party software?

Post by nineplymaple »

The Cricut Mini (NOT the Cake Mini) has a really attractive cutting width per dollars ratio. Unfortunately, it seems to have been released after Provo Craft got lawsuit happy. Has anybody been able to get it to work with SCAL?

I understand SCAL3 doesn't work with Cricuts, but I have a relative with version 2.

Alternatively, does anybody have any other ideas for a cheap light-duty CNC on a student's budget?

thanks
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Re: Does the Cricut Mini work with any third party software?

Post by mitsim »

SCAL will not work with your mini. It came out after the lawsuit, and no drivers were ever made for SCAL to work with that machine. And, you're right, SCAL3 does not work with any Cricuts. If you go to svgcuts.com, and look at compatible cutters, you may be able to pick out a reasonably priced cutter that will work with SCAL3. They have a list of quite a few. I have the eclips, and honestly the cuts are remarkably cleaner and more precise than the Cricut. Good luck!
nineplymaple

Post by nineplymaple »

Thanks for the help. I've been trying to find something that can mill circuit boards and/or cut stencils for my wife's makeup airbrush for a long time now. Will definitely check out the eclips.
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

You may want to check out the Black Cat Lynx or another one in their line. Their cutters work with SCAL, but also they have pretty heavy duty machines and may be able to cut the materials you are interested in cutting. They are a big more costly, but it would be worth checking out.