New to the Cricut World....need help

Common questions/answers for new users
kellyd

New to the Cricut World....need help

Post by kellyd »

Hello,
I just purchased the Cricut Expression. I have not even taken it out of the box yet. I have been doing some research on which cartridges to start with when I ran across the SCAL program. I have a Mac and wonder if this will work for me? I am hoping someone will give this newbie some advice on how to get started. Thanks! KELLY
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Re: New to the Cricut World....need help

Post by DogCarbon »

Unfortunatly Kelly, You are not able to use SCAL with your Expression because of a lawsuit Provo Craft had against SCAL. Those who currently own SCAL at the time of the lawsuit can continue to use it, but no one else can buy it.

IF you really want to use software to cut your paper or vinyl, and not cartridges (like the Circut line of products) and I was in your shoes, and I would RUN and return the Expression.

There are other electronic cutters available for the money you have spent on the E, and if you add in cartridges, you can definatley find a "better" cutter.

I am saving my pennies for a Silhoutte Cameo as it cuts a full 12"... it seems to be one of the newest on the market, and it still may be in a pre-order phase because they can't get ahead of the demand. The Cameo will cut with SCAL without a problem for the PC.

You can email the CraftEdge team and ask if the SCAL3 will work with a Mac and the Cameo, because I don't know that answer.

Good luck with your decision.
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Re: New to the Cricut World....need help

Post by jasenj1 »

I'll echo what Doug said. If you want to use a computer, then return the Cricut ASAP. The Cameo seems to be the newest cutter that compares well with the Cricut price & capability wise.

The unique feature of the Cameo is that it has optical registration for print & cut. That means you print your page with some registration marks on it. Then the cutter reads those marks to make sure everything lines up just so. No other cutter has that feature.

The software that comes with the Cameo works on the Mac; I don't think anything else comes with Mac software.

That said, we've had a Cricut for a few years and my wife likes the convenience of cartridges & does not like using the computer (SCAL) to cut with. She finds it complicated and leaves it to me.

- Jasen.