Cricut firmware update?

Common questions/answers for new users
palz11

Cricut firmware update?

Post by palz11 »

I recently bought a Gypsy to use with my Cricut Expression, as well as using SCAL2.
I updated the Gypsy and now it won't cut on the Expression unless I update the Expression (current firmware version is 2.31)
If I update the Expression, will I still be able to use SCAL2 with it?
Alternatively, can I revert the Gypsy firmware back to the original?
:?:
Hopefully someone is able to help me....

Cheers,
Paula
papasue

Re: Cricut firmware update?

Post by papasue »

Paula, see this post.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26472

Since I don't use the E anymore I forget what the last firmware vs SCAL will support but I'm guessing that if you update the firmware on your E it will not work with SCAL2. You'd have to check on the provocraft site to see if you can find an older version of the firmware to download into the the gypsy.

I did find this list of the latest firmware for PC machines. If you update you E past these it will not work with SCAL.

You are the only person who can change the firmware on your Cricut Personal Cutter, Create, Expression, Cake or Cake Mini. This can only be done by deliberately using the update firmware feature in the older Cricut Design Studio or the new Cricut CraftRoom software programs.
If you're happily using SCAL then there is no need to update your Cricut firmware beyond the versions listed below. Keep in mind these are the highest supported firmware version numbers. If yours is a little less, don't worry.
Personal Cutter: 1.34
Create: 1.54
Cake Mini: 1.54
Expression: 2.35
Cake: 2.35
To check your Cricut firmware, just turn it on and watch the display. Depending on the model, you will see something like v.1.3 or v. 1.54 or v.2.3 or v.2.34, etc.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ok, i just read the post about the versions of Cricut, I of course just have the personal and would love to get the expression to cut bigger svgs. My question is how will i know what the expression (regular, not 2), version is. Is it listed on the box. I have SCAL 1 and i want it to work with the bigger machine. I cannot afford to buy the really expensive machines right now. So who can answer this for me? I checked Amazon.com for the Expression Bundle but they only have the Expression by itself and no listed version. Can anyone answer me on this subject?

Jennifer
papasue

Post by papasue »

When you turn on your CRICUT E the firmware vs number appears on the screen of the E cutter. I don't have the personal one so don't know if it has a screen. Maybe someone else knows.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
palz11

Post by palz11 »

:)
Everywhere I looked on this forum and also the Provocraft forums, I could only see the E having firmware v 2.34, so I chose to allow the update from my Gypsy, and crossed my fingers that all would be ok.

The firmware v. update was to 2.34, and now my Gypsy and SCAL2 all work fine. It certainly gave me a scare that I might not be able to use one or more options here. But everything has turned out well for me.
I certainly won't be doing any more updates as I am happy with how things are working and now I can concentrate on working on my scrapbook and card projects, and hopefully upload some of my projects for others to see too.

Cheers all, and thanks for your help
Paula