Selecting different areas of your design--Question

For your help and questions
boysboysboys

Selecting different areas of your design--Question

Post by boysboysboys »

I am having a hard time selecting different pieces to my design....for example, I created a square within a square and text inside the inner square. I could easily select the outter square to move or change size, but I can't get the inside square or the text to select. I've tried "ungrouping" but I still can't select the inside stuff....Any ideas? I am using SCAL2. Is there a magic spot I need to click on to select??? (I do have the arrow selection tool in use)
Thanks for your help!
lindamac
Location: Arizona-SCAL1, SCAL2,SCAL3 Inkscape,Silhouette Cameo

Re: Selecting different areas of your design--Question

Post by lindamac »

You may have to move your outer box out of the way to move the inner box. I have the same problem.
boysboysboys

Post by boysboysboys »

Yes, I can do that...but I don't want to move it because I have it right where I want it---in the correct place....
any other way?
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

bbb,
There isn't a keyboard shortcut or anything like there should be but there are 2 ways to work around this.
In SCAL2, use layers and put each piece on a separate layer. Then lock the layer you don't want to move so you can get at the one you want to adjust.
Alternately, if you don't want to use layers, here is a trick we used in SCAL1 before we had layers. When you need to move something that you already have just where you want it, use the arrow keys on your keyboard and count how many times you click. Then you can count in reverse to put it back exactly. For instance, select the item and click the right arrow key 15 times to move it out of the way. Then when you have finished adjusting everything else, move the first item back 15 arrow key clicks to the left. You can use the x,y coordinates, too, but I can usually remember the arrow clicks without writing it down.
TheresaTT

Post by TheresaTT »

awesome idea kay. i always have that trouble and hadn't come up with an option yet. good job. i am so excited when i learn something new :lol:
Theresa
Windows 7, Scal 2.044( to use with my E ) , Expression, Inkscape 9, USCutter SC series cutter, Scal 4... Pro
boysboysboys

Post by boysboysboys »

thanks. I ended up working backwards, from the text I had on the inside on a layer and then copying it into the square, I just figured there had to be an easier way! I will try your idea about counting the clicks--that seems logical!