Sky Cut won't connect with USB.

For your help and questions
Dae

Sky Cut won't connect with USB.

Post by Dae »

Hello.

I bought Sky Cut and SCAL last year and just getting around to setting it up (had our KNKMaxx since 2012 and been using that since).

I have the latest software for SCAL and working in a MAC OS X environment (10.14.6).

I've watched a couple videos on the set up and it was straight forward. When I go to test connection, nothing works. I used multiple USB ports and even tired a different USB cable.

Any advice would be great appreciated.
SandyMcC

Re: Sky Cut won't connect with USB.

Post by SandyMcC »

On your Mac, run a System Report and then click on USB on the left side column. Your USB connected devices will then appear on the right. Do you see one called SKY32VI or something similar?

Also, which Skycut model did you buy?
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Oh, I see from your other post that you have a V. Okay. So, again, see what your Mac's System Report shows.
Sandy McCauley
Dae

Post by Dae »

Hello Sandy and thank you for the information and reply.

I does show that SKY32VI is connected since it's with the USB listed equipment pluged into our MAC.
Dae

Post by Dae »

SandyMcC wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:02 pm Oh, I see from your other post that you have a V. Okay. So, again, see what your Mac's System Report shows.
I can post screen shots of everything set up so you can get a idea of what is going on.
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Okay good. So, what is the exact version of SCAL you're running based on the flash screen you see when opening SCAL?

Also, please compare the following two screens with mine. The second one is opened by clicking on Settings in the first one:
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 10.42.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 10.42.11 AM.png (79.55 KiB) Viewed 14940 times
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 10.42.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 10.42.28 AM.png (44.52 KiB) Viewed 14940 times
Sandy McCauley
Dae

Post by Dae »

This is everything I have going right now.

I've been talking to the company that sold me this machine currently and awaiting his response.

I was able to get it connected through wireless connection. But USB is a no go. Nothing has worked at this point. I even bought a new USB A to B cable just to rule out a faulty USB's cables I used if they were and they're not. At this point I'm leaning towards a faulty port on the machine for the USB.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 5.56.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 5.56.05 PM.png (137.7 KiB) Viewed 14935 times
Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 5.55.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 5.55.53 PM.png (572.01 KiB) Viewed 14935 times
Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 5.57.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 5.57.00 PM.png (116.89 KiB) Viewed 14935 times
Dae

Post by Dae »

Also, the Baud rate is set for what the Baud rate is on the machine 57600. I can't change it on the machine when I go to Sys Information it reads "57600-L"
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

I assume you bought from Plotter Geeks? If so, I know that their first response will be to test it from another computer if at all possible. You don't have to register the software in order to test as it can be used in trial version for 15 days.

I have a customer who bought a new Mac on the very same day as her hubby... same model. A month of so later, she set up her original Maxx and SCAL to cut and her new Mac wouldn't recognize the Maxx. There was a USB connection recognized but, unlike in your case, it said something else in the System Report. On the other hand, her hubby's "same" Mac would recognize and cut to her Maxx just fine. We worked almost every day for several weeks googling "Mac USB problems" and never figured it out. Since USB was her only option and her hubby refused at that point to switch computers, she had to use Parallels and then install Windows which worked just fine.

Now with the original Maxx, the USB connection utilized the FTDI drivers which assign COM ports, like your Maxx Air did. But Skycuts use true or direct USB so that's not the case here. Still, I wonder if it's not something about your Mac that is rejecting the Skycut as an acceptable device versus a problem with the USB port I only say this because normally when a USB device is faulty, it's not seen at all by the computer. But who knows. This is far from my area of expertise.

If you’ll let me know if you bought from Plotter Geeks, then I can contact them next week to see if they received your email.
Sandy McCauley
Dae

Post by Dae »

It was bought from Plotter Geeks.

They've been working with me to fix the problem, but haven't been advise to try another computer, which I will now that you mention it.

We have the software registered through SCAL already, this was bought right after we bought the Sky Cut last year.

That's good to read it's not just a new problem with myself. It does connect through Wireless just fine. I haven't tested and cuts yet, just the test connection that way.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm still on MAC OS X Mojave 10.14.6. One of the main reasons I bought a new die cutter was to one, upgrade our OS X, and two, the auto registration. I know SCAL works with MAXX Air, but we've been using MTC since 2012 when we bought the MAXX Air. We get a lot of die cut stationary jobs in so I was slow to work towards learning SCAL, and still haven't with our MAXX Air, just due to the connivence of knowing MTC. As you know MTC won't update to the newest OS due to that program being abandoned by the programer quite a few years now. I think it's the version of OS X due to the fact I've had issues here and there that seem related to the OS being outdated and drivers, software, and applications being utilized for the newer OS.

If I can get proper registered cuts with the Sky Cut via wireless connection, I'm updating the OS X and not using MTC anymore. It's the only program at this point that was holding us back from updating due to the amount of die cut print jobs we have come in.

I appreciate you offering to reach out to PL, but they've been pretty on top of our questions.

I will let you know if it's fixed with the new OS X update.