USB PORTS NOT LISTED

For your help and questions
bjimenez

USB PORTS NOT LISTED

Post by bjimenez »

Hello,

I just installed the software. My cutter is connected to USB3 on my computer. There is no usb port listed in scal5. Is there a way to get it listed? I've selected usb from the first list, but it just shows my com ports. When I try to print it says it can't find my printer.
SandyMcC

Re: USB PORTS NOT LISTED

Post by SandyMcC »

A few questions:

(1) You wrote: "When I try to print, it says it can't find my printer." Are you referring to your printer or did you mean to write "cutter?"

(2) What kind of cutter do you own?

(3) Are you on a PC or a Mac?
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
bjimenez

Post by bjimenez »

Hi, thanks for the replay.

(1) You wrote: "When I try to print, it says it can't find my printer." Are you referring to your printer or did you mean to write "cutter?"
When I try to send to my cutter without selecting a com port and just leaving it on USB I get this error message.

(2) What kind of cutter do you own?
I have a Seiki cutter, which is similar to a USCutter. It only has a USB connection, and I do have the driver installed. I can cut using the Artcut2009 that came with it, so I know the connection is good.

(3) Are you on a PC or a Mac?
I'm on a Dell XE2 Windows 10 PC
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

When you say USB3, it can be one of two types of connections depending on the cutter itself:

A. a true USB connection, like a printer, in which the connection is identified as USB_Printer_3 (in which case it will NOT show up in SCAL's menu of choices but SHOULD still work)

B. it can be a USB-serial connection using an FTDI type driver in which it's identified as a COM(3) connection. Again, it should work with just Auto selected.

I would expect ArtCut to show you the correct labeling so that at least that question will be answered. One thought, based on my own experience with several other cutter brands. If I have made a cut from another program like ArtCut, then I won't typically be able to then get SCAL to communicate with that same cutter. I have to close both programs and restart my cutter. So, maybe try again from a fresh reboot of the cutter and, just to be sure, a fresh reboot of Windows to see if it makes any difference.

Also, be sure click the refresh (circle arrow) icon and then click the Test Connection button with your cutter turned on and in Online mode. If you were testing by having an actual shape cut out, make sure you see the cut in the preview window on the right side in the Cut Settings window.

The other issue is that under Cutter>Cutter Settings, the Baud Rate needs to match what is set on the cutter. Typically, however, having the wrong baud rate does NOT result in a Plotter Not Found error, but rather nothing at all happens.

If none of this helps, then I suggest submitting a support ticket with Craft Edge (the developer of SCAL) using this link:

http://craftedge.com/support/support_form.php
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/