Cutting "Stitched" objects

For your help and questions
Betty Boop

Cutting "Stitched" objects

Post by Betty Boop »

I have sent 3 requests for help to Craft Edge support regarding an issue I am having, with no response. Most likely, it is “operator error”, as I am not particularly savvy in the use of my wonderful SCAL 4 Pro (latest ver. 4.08) system. I have pored over the tutorials and searched the forum to no avail (that I can understand). SO, I would appreciate some help with this:

There are many die cuts on the market for hand crank cutters – “stitched rectangles”, “stitched hearts”, “stitched circles” and the like, in which one cuts a solid outer line, with an inner scored or dotted line cut 1/8” to ¼” inside the main cut. These things cost a fortune and I have spent my share of money on them, before realizing there was a way to create them in SCAL. Or so I thought. Clearly, I am doing something wrong.

I create, for example, a 6” square, solid cut line. I then create a 5.75” square, dotted or scored cut line, centered over the 6” square. The preview and cut screens BOTH “say” the score AND solid cut lines will be cut (it makes no difference whether or not I group the 2 objects). I send the project to the cutter (24" Silver Bullet professional). Only the outer, SOLID line is cut. I have done this at least 12 times, with the same result.

Any assistance (in simple, plain English, please) would be appreciated. Thank you. Adrienne
SandyMcC

Re: Cutting "Stitched" objects

Post by SandyMcC »

Can you post some screenshots? Specifically, have the dashed line selected and then show both the Style Panel settings and the Fill & Stroke Panel settings.

We'll get this figured out... could be a software bug!
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Thank you Miss Sandy! See the attachments you requested. Please do let me know how else I may provide information to help solve this mystery.
Attachments
061720 Stitched Rectangle Dashed line Style.JPG
061720 Stitched Rectangle Dashed line Style.JPG (19.09 KiB) Viewed 8541 times
061720 Stitched Rectangle Dashed line Fill and Stroke.JPG
061720 Stitched Rectangle Dashed line Fill and Stroke.JPG (31.2 KiB) Viewed 8541 times
061720 Stitched Rectangle cut settings.JPG
061720 Stitched Rectangle cut settings.JPG (92.52 KiB) Viewed 8541 times
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Well, it worked fine for me, but then I don't have a Silver Bullet to test. One thing I want you to try... these changes:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (318.75 KiB) Viewed 8538 times
Sandy McCauley
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Thank you for the idea. unfortunately, the results were the same - only the solid line was cut.
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

I think your best bet is to take this issue to the Silver Bullet forum and see if you can find others there to test the same thing. Once other owners confirm the issue, then you should be able to get it reported as an actual bug to SCAL because I don't see how it could be something you're doing wrong. Even before I had you change those settings, it should have been working.
Sandy McCauley
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Thank you for your help - at least we know I am not losing my mind, ha-ha!! :lol: You confirmed it worked on your machine, so that is a start. Also, there may be someone on this forum with a Silver Bullet who can shed some light on the issue. Fingers crossed. I will take it to the SB forum as well.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

I have a Silver Bullet Pro I can take a look at the file if you want to send it to me. I have SCAL 5 pro but I might be able to spot something

only thing I can think of is try not using inset and just resize a copy of the original rectangle to make the stitch lines, set the copy to the dash lines for the effect you want. it might be the shadow layer causing the problem.

I'd also be replacing the blade with a pen/pencil and use scrap / photocopy paper to test - won't waste as much paper until you get it right. then you can swap back - remember to use a low pressure for the pen/pencil.
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Believe it or not, someone else has this same exact issue in SCAL5 Pro. I've been working with her for 2 days and a few things we've discovered are that it doesn't happen on a dashed line... only on the close dashed shapes she wants to use. Also, it's not related to the cutter at all. With the Skycuts you can save as PLT directly from the Cut Settings window to then use a USB flash drive on the cutter itself to cut the PLT file. If she saves a PLT from her SCAL, then the dashed shape fails on my Skycut. If I save the PLT from SCAL, then it works on her Skycut. SO... not related to the cutter. But I cannot figured out why her SCAL is doing this but not mine. :(
Sandy McCauley