How does this work?

For your help and questions
dublintoo

How does this work?

Post by dublintoo »

:roll: If I find a picture online of something I want to use my SCAL with or I have something I can scan into my computer to produce a picture of, would this work with my SCAL program to cut it out? I'm not sure how to get something I have seen or want cut with SCAL. What I mean is, if I wanted a horse and carriage for example and I have seen it online or I already have it in cardboard lets say, and I want to cut 15 more of them, how do I get the program to "copy" it so that I can cut 15 more???? Is this making any sense?!! I'm not sure where to start and how any of this works. Can someone help me please???!!! (wow that sounds so desperate!!! :)

Thanks for your help in advance

Jeanne
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: How does this work?

Post by HeatherM »

If you want to create files to cut from images you need a program like Inkscape (free at http://www.inkscape.org/) or Adobe Illustrator (not free) to create svg files with vectors. Black and white pictures, line drawings, and simple color images (like cartoons) with no shading are easiest. Just about anything can be made into a vector with a little work, it just depends on the image. My favorite things to use are dingbats and coloring pages, but I have used photographs too.

If you have a simple image (from a color standpoint) with decent contrast, it is usually easiest to either trace it (Path/Trace bitmap) or use the paint bucket tool.
If the image doesn't have good contrast I usually use the Bezier tool. I used that on the Madonna M and the bearded collie files I made from photographs.

There are a lot of good tutorials on using Inkscape on this forum and in blogs. See this post for links to some tutorials. http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5058

If there is something you want and are having trouble with, either post an image of it (if no copyright issues) or a link to an image online. Someone will either make the file for you or help you out with making it yourself.
dublintoo

Post by dublintoo »

I have inkscape. I downloaded it when I bought the cd for SCAL. I have no idea how to use either program! I was just so excited to find a program to use with my cricut instead of buying expensive cartridges. I found a sleigh and reindeer on a website that someone posted. It's a set from Stampin Up! that she "put together" for her liitle girls room and I loved it. I wanted to know if, I bought the set myself, could I make an svg file for it.................though I have no idea how to do that either. I know that you're not supposed to use copyrighted material but there are things on here like Disney that are put into svg files so I'm not sure if it's ok to use Stampin Up! die-cuts.
I read alot of the requests and how people have taken dingbats and fonts etc and they change them into svg files. I have no idea where to begin. I was a little disappointed to get the cd in the mail and there weren't any directions on where to start. I have alot of fonts and dingbats downloaded to my computer that I have found on the internet . I have been wanting to use the Scriptina font for so long and had no idea how to do it. :? Then I found this cd. I need to get all the fonts and dingbats off of my computer to ease up on the memory. If I downloaded them to a cd, can I still use the SCAL program?? Or do the fonts and dingbats have to be on my computer (downloaded)? Where can I find directions on how to get started using the program?? I really appreciate all the help! I know this sounds like alot and I'll apologize now for that!! :) I just want to get started and I don't know where to begin :) Thank you again! :)

Jeanne :)
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

Check out the tutorials here. http://www.scrappingtable.com/understandingshapes.html She has a good one on tracing in Inkscape. Also look at the tutorials links in this post. http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5058
dublintoo wrote:I have been wanting to use the Scriptina font for so long and had no idea how to do it. Then I found this cd. I need to get all the fonts and dingbats off of my computer to ease up on the memory. If I downloaded them to a cd, can I still use the SCAL program?? Or do the fonts and dingbats have to be on my computer (downloaded)?
You can use fonts that aren't installed on your computer by opening the fonts. Minimize the font window, then open the program that you want to use. I have found a couple of fonts that didn't work this way, but most do work. It save loading a lot of fonts into your fonts folder that you might never use again. The important thing is that the fonts must be opened before the program that you want to use them in and they have to stay open until you are done. HTH
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

Heather,

Thank you so much for this tip. I never occurred to me to use fonts this way. I have a question - is there a way to refresh the font list in Inkscape? Or do you have to open and close the program each time you want to use a different temporary font this way? TIA
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

pastda3 wrote:is there a way to refresh the font list in Inkscape? Or do you have to open and close the program each time you want to use a different temporary font this way?
The fonts have to be open before you open the program. I just tried opening three at a time and they all worked. You do have to either finish what you are doing with them before you close the file, or convert them to path in Ink. Some fonts don't work like this, and the last one that didn't show up in Ink was at the end of the list in SCAL so maybe it has something to do with their name.
sfandm

Post by sfandm »

I am slowly learning how to maneuver around Inkscape. I am terrible at typing fast but I can help anyone who is willing to email me, and then we can converse via phone. We can help each other. I have started a cheat book by playing and pausing then writing down any Inkscape tutorial I come across. It has helped me ALOT. My email address is sfandm@sbcglobal.net and I live in Texas, Central time. Contact me if anyone is interested. I am also going to start teaching a Cricut class next month at my local Moose lodge, and I have already gotten alot of calls concerning this. I never knew so many people in my area would spend so much money on these things and not know how to use them, oops- what do you know, I just included myself in that category. LOL BTW, my husband thinks I am crazy for trying to learn Inkscape.

Have a good night y'all

Sonya
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Sonya,
I am taking a Cricut Class and there are two ladies (mother and daughter) in my Class who have an Expression that's still in the box. The don't even bring it to class. The teacher has two machines, so they use one of hers.
Todd
craftydiva

Post by craftydiva »

I wish there was a Cricut class close to me..... (especially if was to do with SCAL too... lol)
Karen