SCAL 5 Troubles

For your help and questions
vskelley

SCAL 5 Troubles

Post by vskelley »

Since installing SCAL V5, whenever I'm cutting a project, it gets about halfway through cutting, then all of a sudden it makes a loud grinding noise and drags the blade diagonally up the and across my project, completely ruining it. At first I thought it was a bad file, but then I used older files that I have always been successful cutting with previous versions and it does the same thing. Has anyone else had this issue or any ideas as to why it's now doing this? Thanks! I have uninstalled and re-installed the software directly from the site, but that didn't help either.
SandyMcC

Re: SCAL 5 Troubles

Post by SandyMcC »

The first thing to check would be whether or not the same file does the same thing in SCAL4. Since I've not seen this issue reported before and I not only moderate here but also, own/moderate/follow a number of SCAL Facebook groups. So, it's not a reported issue, as far as I know. Anyhow, if you uninstall SCAL4, just reinstall it and check for it.

You didn't mention what brand and model of cutter you own. If it was one I had, I would be contacting the dealer who sold it to me to see if they are aware of anything that would cause this.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
vskelley

Post by vskelley »

Thank you for responding. I have a Silver Bullet 24". I haven't had a problem with SCAL up until now (V5) and I've had all of the versions since I had my Cricut years ago. This is the first time this has started happening. I have successfully cut these same files in previous versions.
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

I know a few people with Silver Bullet cutters who are also using SCAL5 and, again, no reports of any issues. I highly recommend you submit this at the Silver Bullet forum since you'll find a LOT more SB owners there than here:

https://forum.silverbulletcutters.com/
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
Createinspain

Post by Createinspain »

I have just sent another email to Brandon...after installing V5.031

"I can’t begin to say how disappointed I am that the issue with the second tool has not been sorted.

Having tried out all the different permutations of setting the items to ‘Score’ with the left tool (cut setting, force 255) the ONLY way I can get it to work is to select the layer in the Layers tab on the right of the screen and then send it to the cutter.

Pink line is set to score in attached file. (I sent a file of a square set to cut, containing a circle set to score).

Other than that, it disregards my setting of the left tool and uses it on the setting of the right one..

The only way the left tool is controlled as set, is when it is set to the Pen setting set by you,(won’t allow me to set it to go faster, as is my preference). Under those circumstances the pen will write and I can have a cut line offset..

One of my sons is a software engineer, so I do have an empathy with you over this situation but it has been dragging on for months and is still not resolved.

I sincerely hope it is going to be soon, because my patience is being sorely tested."

To have a machine (SB Platinum) that costs in the region of 1500 dollars and not be able to use it properly, without doing 'workarounds' is quite frankly, appalling. Up to now, I have championed SCAL as user friendly, comprehensive cutter software, because that is what I found it to be but it isn't playing nice with the Platinum and I can't help feeling that the customer service on SCAL has declined.