Cricut does not cut!

For your help and questions
Soraya

Cricut does not cut!

Post by Soraya »

I haven't been working with my SCAL and the cricut for a couple of weeks. Today I tried to work but couldn't get the cricut to cut. The SCAL keeps freezing and when finally gets to the cut window, a small window appears. The window says "cutting with cricut" ..."checking mat" at this point, it freezes again! :o

I also noticed that the cricut is not working as it get frozen and won't load the paper. If it loads the paper, then it doesn't do anything else.

can anyone help?

soraya :oops:
SCAL 2 (cricut), SCAL 3 (Black Cat 15"), Windows 10
Sueplayingwithpaper

Re: Cricut does not cut!

Post by Sueplayingwithpaper »

If it sticks on checking mat then it's nearly always a fault with your usb connection. Make sure it isnt running through a hub, change the lead or socket and it should start working ok. If that doesnt cure it you might have developed a fault with windows itself. I had terrible trouble with mine, no matter which lead or socket I used it froze more often than not, I ended up having to do a full system restore to the pc and it's been no trouble since.
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

i have to tried that.

Hubby played on my computer and downloaded some program for our sony cell phones. :evil:

I'm thinking the problem is related to that.

thanks for the tip!

soraya
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Do not have any other software running upfront or in the background. SCAL doesn't like any other programs to be running that use USB ports. Cell phones and scanner software have interfered with SCAL. There may be others.

Check the Cell Phone software!
Todd
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

I have all those things in or next to the laptop. I'll try without anything else working around the area.

TX

soraya
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

Try using another USB port if you have one. Shut everything down - computer and Cricut. Plug the Cricut into another USB port. Turn all on and try again. You might have to install USB drivers again. I had problems at a retreat recently and did this and it worked for me. Talan's right, don't have other things plugged into USB ports at the same time - SCAL is USB selfish. To unplug things, turn everything off, unplug and restart. SCAL doesn't like you just unplugging things while it's open and even the computer on. At least that's what I have found. HTH
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

Thanks for the advice. I recently discovered that my laptop doesn't acknowledge the cricut is connected either. :( Today i realized that the CD drive/player is not working properly either. I'm beginning to think that a program DH downloaded from the internet is causing all this chaos :evil: :roll:

I'll make a back up and then clean the laptop and see what happens.

thanks for all your advice. Helped me to rule out possible causes. :)

soraya
kkscraps

Post by kkscraps »

I was just thinking about purchasing SCAL software but was doing some research on it and saw on a couple of websites that as of March 21, 2009 Cricut updated the firmware (which I haven't checked yet) and now the SCAL software doesn't work anymore. I was browsing thru the SCAL boards and noticed a lot of problems since then with the Cricut not working and freezing up. Is this true and if so, has craft edge come up with a solution. I'd like to try to find out before I spend $75 on the software. HELP!!!!
Thankskkscraps

Private message
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

I did the free download for the cricut (after unintalling the sony program that was intefering with the cricut and making the laptop oblivious to the cricut presence). No problem with the cricut working so far (7 hours at this time). :P :lol:
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

by the way, the SCAL is working perfectly. I mostly use SCAL. the cartridges only once in a blue moon :D .