End cuts not meeting up

For your help and questions
lionessaz

End cuts not meeting up

Post by lionessaz »

I've been using my 24" Silver Bullet for the last 6 years, same cut files, same program SCAL3.062, same MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5. All of the sudden I have one particular file where randomly, some ends are not meeting up. It doesn't happen in the same place twice--just here and there and everywhere. I've checked the blade, cleaned the housing, and they are fine. No change in the vinyl brand I use. I can't for the life of me figure out where the problem is. I don't know if it is a SB issue or an SCAL issue. Any thoughts?

I've attached a photo. Don't worry about the smudges--I am cutting on clear vinyl and since you wouldn't be able to see the uglies, I rubbed it with a dry erase marker before I added arrows to point out the problems.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Michele
Attachments
cut file problem.jpg
cut file problem.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2081 times
SandyMcC

Re: End cuts not meeting up

Post by SandyMcC »

I wish I had a firm answer for you, but I do not. When I've seen this happen with other cutters, it's usually a mechanical issue or the user failing to enter the correct Blade Offset. But obviously, if this is only happening with a single file, then it cannot be that. You might want to post this to the owner of Silver Bullet and also on their own forum to see if any other customers have had the same thing happen.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
lionessaz

Re: End cuts not meeting up

Post by lionessaz »

Hi Sandy,
I've updated our SCAL3 to 3.075 as per advice on the SB forums. I've been using 0.30mm offset and a .05mm overcut for the past 5 years on these files and it's been just fine, although if you think it should be different, any advice is gladly accepted! I've found more than one file with the problem now so it's concerning.

Did another run of the file after updating to SCAL3.075 and it seems to have cleared up almost all of the mismatches. Only 1 or 2 in a 6" x 12" page of MANY intricate 1/2" designs. Do you think upgrading to version 4 would solve the few mismatches that are left?

Thanks,
Michele