Automatic cut all the way through ?

For your help and questions
kentsor

Automatic cut all the way through ?

Post by kentsor »

I'm finding the manually cutting the vinyl off the roll after the cutter is done is something I'd like to automate.

I know the pressure etc is set once for a whole cut, so I'm making a special design that I send to the cutter after the main design is cut. The idea is for this design to only consist of a single line across the roll, meant to go all the way through.

However, even setting the pressure to 250g, all the way to the limit that the dialog allows does not cut perceptibly deeper as far as I can tell. The "use software speed and pressure" chekbox is checked.

What am I missing here ?

The cutter is a GCC AR-24, SCAL 5

Thanks
Kent
SandyMcC

Re: Automatic cut all the way through ?

Post by SandyMcC »

Hi Kent,

When cutting any material, but particularly vinyl, it's essential that the blade exposure be set to only cut the vinyl layer itself and not the backing sheet. Otherwise, the vinyl will start to pull away from the backing sheet and you'll get lousy cuts. Therefore, the reason you cannot cut through the backing sheet at the end of the cut, regardless of the pressure you use, is because there's not enough blade exposed to penetrate that sheet. On dual head cutters, a second blade holder could be inserted with the blade further extended so that the backing sheet could be cut with that blade holder, however, you also risk cutting too deep, damaging the cutting strip, and that will affect future cuts.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
kentsor

Re: Automatic cut all the way through ?

Post by kentsor »

Ah, that makes sense. I misunderstood the mechanism. The up and down motion on the cutter isn't adjustable, it's just up or down, and the delicate cut depth is controlled by manually setting the depth of the blade.

Unfortunately there's only a single head on the AR-24

Thanks
Kent