Multicut print and cut?

For your help and questions
tchad

Multicut print and cut?

Post by tchad »

I've searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to this, so I'm posting it. It seems like it should be answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it...

Is there a way to multi-cut a Print and Cut job, other than just running it through twice manually? The print and cut interface shows a multi-cut checkbox, but it's always set to 1, even if I have multi-cut configured on the normal cutting page.

If it matters, I have a Silhouette Cameo 3.
SandyMcC

Re: Multicut print and cut?

Post by SandyMcC »

I'm sure we can help you figure this out. First of all, what version of SCAL are you using?

Also, Multi-cut is often a confusing term:

(1) In the Cut Settings window of SCAL4 it refers to how many times you want a shape cut out... in other words, if you are cutting a thicker material you might want two or three passes on the same shape.

(2) Sometimes, users confuse this term with meaning they want several of the same shape cut out... say... a quarter of an inch away from each other.

(3) Reading YOUR original post, I'm guessing that you might be referring to another functionality whereby your Cameo 3 might be able to print and cut multiple printouts without scanning the locations of the reg marks on each sheet?

Please provide more info and, again, I'm sure someone can help you with your question. :)
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
tchad

Post by tchad »

Hi @SandyMcC, thanks for such a quick response!

That confusion is understandable, though I believe I understand, and believe I'm using the term correctly.

I am printing and cutting somewhat thick photo paper (70 lb), and after just one cutting pass, it's still attached together well enough that it sometimes tears my pieces as I'm pulling them apart. I have been simply feeding the mat through a second time, so it cuts over the same lines again, and that works perfectly, but it would be great to make that happen automatically.

I'm currently using the "cardstock" setting, which I believe is pressure 30, speed 5. I'm cutting on a Silhouette Cameo 3, with the auto-blade.

My real goal is to cleanly cut the paper with only having to feed the mat and start the cutting process once, but I'm open to alternative ways to achieve this other than "multi-cutting". I considered increasing the pressure to the maximum of 33, and slowing the cut down to maybe 4, but I haven't tried that yet, I thought I'd come see what the experts recommend, first. :)

Thanks again!
tchad

Post by tchad »

I forgot to include my SCAL version: 4.069.

Thank you!
tchad

Post by tchad »

Here are some screenshots to illustrate what I'm seeing.

Here's the cut window, which allows setting multi-cut easily and properly.
Cut window, with multi-cut properly showing.
Cut window, with multi-cut properly showing.
cutwindow.png (98.88 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Then when I go to the Print and Cut screen, the option is missing:
Print and cut window, with the area where I would expect multi-cut to show, notably blank.
Print and cut window, with the area where I would expect multi-cut to show, notably blank.
PrintandCut.png (149.32 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
From within the Print and Cut screen, if I choose + Preset, it shows multi-cut, but regardless of what was selected on the Cut Settings screen (even if I save a preset there with more than one pass of multi-cut) it only shows 1 here, with no ability to edit it.
The preset window, accessible from inside the print and cut screen. Here it shows multi-cut, but regardless of what is selected on the cut window settings, always shows "1" here.
The preset window, accessible from inside the print and cut screen. Here it shows multi-cut, but regardless of what is selected on the cut window settings, always shows "1" here.
Preset.PNG (20.6 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

In your screenshots, it doesn't show that you provided a new name for your Preset after clicking on + Preset. Can you redo those screenshots showing that after give your multicut Preset a new name and then pulling it up again from the menu, the preset still shows 1 pass? Unfortunately, I don't own a Cameo 3 for testing this myself. But I was able to get as far as setting up a 2 pass preset, renaming it and then it does show 2 passes. Unfortunately, now ALL of the Presets in the menu show 2 passes when I select them. Definitely some bugs here.
Sandy McCauley
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

This issue has been fixed. Go to this link and click on Download. Note that while it still says 4.068, the version you'll download is 4.071.

http://www.craftedge.com/download/download.html
Sandy McCauley
tchad

Post by tchad »

Woohoo! Thank you @SandyMcC!

I'll confirm once I've had a chance to test it!
tchad

Post by tchad »

Sorry for the long delay, I forgot that I said I would confirm.

Mostly for anyone in the future who finds this post and is having issues, version 4.071 did fix my issue, multi-cut in print-and-cut works as expected now!

The interface is still funny - you have to create and save a Preset on the Cut Settings screen, then select that Preset on the Print+Cut screen (because there is no Multi-cut selector on the Print+Cut screen, and the Print and Cut screen does not seem use the settings from the Cut Settings screen). Still, once you jump through that minor hoop, it works!