Zing Orbit vs Cricut Maker

For your help and questions
tswan

Zing Orbit vs Cricut Maker

Post by tswan »

Hi all, newbie here.

I have been going through some of the tutorials for SCAL, and the software seems very easy to learn. I am new to cutting, I have never owned a cutting machine, but have a small business and am considering buying either a zing orbit, or cricket maker. I need to cut leather, and I need to be able to upload my own designs, that I create in adobe illustrator. Does anyone have any advice on which cutter would be best?

I hope I am posting this in the right place.
:-)
Tswan
SandyMcC

Re: Zing Orbit vs Cricut Maker

Post by SandyMcC »

I highly recommend you contact both companies to request testing on the exactly leather you wish to cut for your business. Having tested different thicknesses and types of leather on digital die cutters, I can tell you that some types cut easily and some don't and it's based more on composition of the leather than thickness. Leather that has a lot of elasticity, for example, isn't easily stabilized and without being firmly adhered to a cutting mat, you won't be able to get the clean cuts you need. Also, you need to make sure that the designs you want to cut in a particular size are able to be achieved with the blade in use. The thinner the material, the more flexibility you have with size and intricacy, but leather can be a different matter. If you want to submit your leather for testing at KNK USA, just email me at smccauley45@cox.net and I can provide a mailing address for you.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
tswan

Re: Zing Orbit vs Cricut Maker

Post by tswan »

That would be fantastic, thank you!