Noobie here...

For your help and questions
olds8898

Noobie here...

Post by olds8898 »

I would like to buy my wife a new cutting machine. She currently has a Cricut expression. She likes it but she is using Make the Cut software. The software is on a older computer that will probably not last much longer. I see that her current machine will not work with an updated version of MTC. We were looking at new machines and she is interested in the KNK Zing Orbit. So I have a few questions.

Will Sure Cuts A Lot work with that machine?

What is the difference from the base and the Pro version?

How does the software work, is it similar to MTC where you design what you want to cut and then is tells the machine what to do?

Is the Zing Orbit a good machine?

What are the pro/cons for the Zing Orbit?
SandyMcC

Re: Noobie here...

Post by SandyMcC »

Answers to your questions:

Will Sure Cuts A Lot work with that machine? Yes! In fact, it's the recommended software for use with the Zing Orbit. It is sold separately but you will get a discount if it's purchased at the same time as the Zing Orbit.

What is the difference from the base and the Pro version? Have a look at this PDF. It covers the differences and shows some screenshots to explain the additional features: http://www.iloveknk.com/wp-content/uplo ... atures.pdf

How does the software work, is it similar to MTC where you design what you want to cut and then is tells the machine what to do? Yes. It's very similar to MTC although it works with a lot more cutters and has some additional features. I posted several articles this year outlining the pros and cons of both programs. You can start by the one on my own web site which then links to the other: http://www.iloveknk.com/2017/06/mtc-vs- ... r-for-you/

Is the Zing Orbit a good machine? I'm a tester for KNK USA and I love their cutters, including the new Zing Orbit.

Pros:
(1) Extremely high cutting resolution
(2) 15 inch wide cutting range (or 24" if you buy the 24" Zing Orbit)
(3) Optic eye for automatic print and cut applications
(4) Built most of metal parts thus very sturdy
(5) 1000g of cutting force which means a wide range of materials can be cut
(6) Fully adjustable blade holder seat allows one to directly insert a wide range of items, such as glue pens, Sharpies, white gel pens, other brands of cutter accessories etc. This really opens up a world of applications!
(6) KNK USA is a small company that wants their customers to be successful, thus the customer service is very good.

Cons:
(1) You need to calibrate the optic eye. There's a step-by-step tutorial in the UM but some new owners struggle with decimals... not grasping the difference between, say, 0.1 mm and 0.01 mm.
(2) Sometimes the optic eye needs to be adjusted in order to be successful in scanning the reg marks. This only involves a screwdriver and 10 minutes of your time. There are written instructions for it. But still, it's kind of a negative that it's required. My guess is that there was one worker at the factory who missed the instruction on how to slide it upwords before tightening.
(3) They're not plug and play cutters. You do need to spend time going through the first few chapters of the UM and asking questions when needed. I provide support freely to any new owners and there is a list of public forums and groups where your wife can meet other KNK owners. But again, it takes some grit and some willingness to learn from mistakes in order to master these higher-functioning cutters. But once you do, you're hooked! lol
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
olds8898

Re: Noobie here...

Post by olds8898 »

SandyMcC wrote:Answers to your questions:

Will Sure Cuts A Lot work with that machine? Yes! In fact, it's the recommended software for use with the Zing Orbit. It is sold separately but you will get a discount if it's purchased at the same time as the Zing Orbit.

What is the difference from the base and the Pro version? Have a look at this PDF. It covers the differences and shows some screenshots to explain the additional features: http://www.iloveknk.com/wp-content/uplo ... atures.pdf

How does the software work, is it similar to MTC where you design what you want to cut and then is tells the machine what to do? Yes. It's very similar to MTC although it works with a lot more cutters and has some additional features. I posted several articles this year outlining the pros and cons of both programs. You can start by the one on my own web site which then links to the other: http://www.iloveknk.com/2017/06/mtc-vs- ... r-for-you/

Is the Zing Orbit a good machine? I'm a tester for KNK USA and I love their cutters, including the new Zing Orbit.

Pros:
(1) Extremely high cutting resolution
(2) 15 inch wide cutting range (or 24" if you buy the 24" Zing Orbit)
(3) Optic eye for automatic print and cut applications
(4) Built most of metal parts thus very sturdy
(5) 1000g of cutting force which means a wide range of materials can be cut
(6) Fully adjustable blade holder seat allows one to directly insert a wide range of items, such as glue pens, Sharpies, white gel pens, other brands of cutter accessories etc. This really opens up a world of applications!
(6) KNK USA is a small company that wants their customers to be successful, thus the customer service is very good.

Cons:
(1) You need to calibrate the optic eye. There's a step-by-step tutorial in the UM but some new owners struggle with decimals... not grasping the difference between, say, 0.1 mm and 0.01 mm.
(2) Sometimes the optic eye needs to be adjusted in order to be successful in scanning the reg marks. This only involves a screwdriver and 10 minutes of your time. There are written instructions for it. But still, it's kind of a negative that it's required. My guess is that there was one worker at the factory who missed the instruction on how to slide it upwords before tightening.
(3) They're not plug and play cutters. You do need to spend time going through the first few chapters of the UM and asking questions when needed. I provide support freely to any new owners and there is a list of public forums and groups where your wife can meet other KNK owners. But again, it takes some grit and some willingness to learn from mistakes in order to master these higher-functioning cutters. But once you do, you're hooked! lol

Thank you for your reply! I have ordered the 15" Orbit with the SCAL PRO.