How to divide a 44" image into 2 parts for 24" cutter

For your help and questions
Jimmy Marr

How to divide a 44" image into 2 parts for 24" cutter

Post by Jimmy Marr »

I traced a .png image of a Black Sun with SCAL3 and have been successful at cutting various sizes up to 22" on my 24" USCutter model SC.

I'd like to cut one 44" in diameter by dividing the image in half and cutting it as two separate parts, but I'm finding it difficult to cleanly divide the image in half before sending it to the cutter. Loads of nodes.

Suggestions?
Attachments
44%22 Black Sun.scut3
(41.75 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
SandyMcC

Re: How to divide a 44" image into 2 parts for 24" cutter

Post by SandyMcC »

I don't have SCAL3... I only work in SCAL4, so I had to check the Help Tutorial to verify what functions you have. So, this is how I would do it in SCAL3.

First, do a Save As and give your file a new name so that the original isn't lost.

Make a copy of your image and move it off the mat or put it on a different page.

Make a rectangle half the size of your shape. In this case, 22" wide and 44" high.

Select the shape and your rectangle and use the Align icons on the right to align both on the left and also along the top.

Then, with both still selected, go to Path>Back Minus Front.

Wait patiently. It took my computer like 5 seconds to apply. But you should be left with just the right side of your design shape.

Now, repeat on another copy of your shape but align the shape and rectangle along the top and right sides.

That should do it!
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
Jimmy Marr

Post by Jimmy Marr »

Excellent suggestion, Sandy. Thank you very much. I'll try the procedure at my earliest convenience. I feel confident that it's going to work just as you've described.
Jimmy Marr

Post by Jimmy Marr »

Your suggestion worked like a charm, Sandy, and it's a beauty. I'll post a photo of the project when it's complete. Meanwhile, if you'd humor me with another suggestion I'd like to know how you'd go about finding and setting up an outline image of the continental United States.

The Black Sun is being used as part of a solar eclipse message. Another part will be composed of an outline of the continental U.S. over which I intend to superimpose a shadowed line representing the path of the sun's shadow as it moves across North America. I will again bisect the image to allow for two stage cutting of an oversize image.

Thanks in advance and Happy Eclipse!
Jimmy Marr

Post by Jimmy Marr »

Cancel my last request for advice, Sandy. Using what you taught me on the first phase of my project, I was able complete the second half without further assistance.

Thanks Again.
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Sorry I missed your response! I'm always happy to help out. I just have to remember to check or mark that option to be notified when there's a response. :)
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/