importing files problems

For your help and questions
frizzo

importing files problems

Post by frizzo »

Hi,

I'm trying to import files from inkscape (0.92) and I sometimes have problems with the paths altering once they arrive in scal 4.

As you can see in the pictures, which is three paths, that curved areas get straightened out. It's happend quite a few times, and
often I can save it as a plain svg or pdf and it will then work. The example I have attached will look like this no matter what.

I can't figure out what's going on. Whether it's something to do with objects/paths, strokes or the boolean operations. It seems kind of
random. I'll explain the exact procedure for the example as it's a simple one:

rect - object to path -
create four elipses - object to path x 4 - union - duplicate
select yellow shape and rect - difference
creat red elipse - object to path - duplicate
select red elipse + yellow shape - difference

It should just work though regardless though I would have thought. Unless there's some bug or something the scal doesnt like?

Any help/thoughts appreciated as I'm at an impass.
Attachments
flower.svg
(4.74 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
scal.jpg
scal.jpg (76.96 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
flower.png
flower.png (12.13 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
mommyshome

Re: importing files problems

Post by mommyshome »

I can't speak specifically for the software that you are using but I've had similar issues forever. I recently started using Illustrator and I'm still having issues. I then did some internet research and realized that there are plug ins for this, which I haven't tried because my version of SCAL doesn't have them. I save my files and then trace them in SCAL which of course isn't as precise but it's working for now.

If you haven't tried these yet it may be worthwhile.

http://www.craftedge.com/download/download_extras.php

I'd love to hear how it works for you.
My files are for personal use only. Please do not sell my files or items made from my files. Thanks.
frizzo

Post by frizzo »

I tried the plugin for inkscape and I get the same results.

I've messed around with nearly every setting I can think of and I'm assuming it's a bug at this point. I didn't find a lot of information searching on here, so it may be dependent on some version of software combination etc. One thing I did read is it to try ungrouping things.

So far this seems to work on the files Ive tested. Group and then ungroup everything - even when there was no group to begin with - may work....
frizzo

Post by frizzo »

I tried the plugin for inkscape and I get the same results.

I've messed around with nearly every setting I can think of and I'm assuming it's a bug at this point. I didn't find a lot of information searching on here, so it may be dependent on some version of software combination etc. One thing I did read is it to try ungrouping things.

So far this seems to work on the files Ive tested. Group and then ungroup everything - even when there was no group to begin with - may work....
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

We experienced similar problems when opening Inkscape-created SVG files into C3, the cutting program on the KNK Force. After many hours of testing, we concluded that in Inkscape, we needed to apply the following changes before saving the file:

(1) For circles and ovals: apply Path>Simplify

(2) For text, apply Path>Union (even if the letters do not overlap)

(3) For all other shapes, select one layer at a time and apply Path>Combine.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/