Will SCAL2 work with Windows 10?

For your help and questions
ncookmeyer

Will SCAL2 work with Windows 10?

Post by ncookmeyer »

Can't seem to get it to work with my personal Cricut & new laptop with Windows 10 on it. Freezes when "checking mat/cartridge" comes up. Suggestions? Thanks!!
papasue

Re: Will SCAL2 work with Windows 10?

Post by papasue »

Hi, I doubt it, but to be sure send a support request to support@craftedge.com or Go to craftedge.com/downloads and ensure you have the last version of scal2. Craftedge was stopped from offering new software for Cricut several years ago.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
jenjreilly

Post by jenjreilly »

I can't get to the website??
jillshum

Post by jillshum »

I am having the same issue. with scal2 and windows 10. Did anyone find an answer?
craftdee&friends

Post by craftdee&friends »

no i struggle everytime, it hates windows 10 i now have a dinosaur laptop running vista and design on my windows 10 laptop and transfer by pen drive what i want to cut to the dinosaur laptop and it cuts everytime on that i havent found another solution as of yet
aspencer80

Post by aspencer80 »

Just wanted to share my success with getting SCAL2 to work on a new Windows 10 machine. The two challenges are setting SCAL2 to run in Windows XP mode, and installing the old Cricut USB driver instead of the driver Windows 10 thinks it should use.

Install SCAL2.exe from your file.

Activate your software using whatever method necessary. I had to use manual activation and the website http://www.craftedge.com/activation

Step 1. Set SCAL2 to run in Windows XP compatibility mode.
Search for "Compatibility" in the windows bar and you'll find the option "Run programs for previous versions of Windows")
Click Next
Select Sure Cuts A Lot 2 from the list of programs
Click Troubleshoot Program
Check box for "The program worked in earlier version of Windows...", then click Next
Select Windows XP (SP3), click Next
Click Test Program
If SCAL2 asks you to activate, just click the trial option for now
Don't actually try and cut anything yet, just close the SCAL2 software and click Next or close the Compatibility window dialogue
Restart computer

Step 2. Force Windows to use the old Cricut USB drivers...
Download the old Cricut USB drivers here: "https://www.craftedge.com/bin/CDM20802.zip" and extract the folder of files to a location on your computer.
Roughly follow the directions on this site, but use the specific directions below: "https://www.craftedge.com/products/driver.html"

Open Device Manager and find the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" > "USB Serial Converter"
"USB Serial Converter" is the driver for the cricut machine, double click to open it.
Click Change Settings and log in as Admin if necessary
Click Driver tab
Click Update Driver
Click Browse my computer for driver software
Click Let me pick from a list of available...
Click Have Disk
Under "Copy Manufacturer's files from:" point to the downloaded USB driver from the craftedge url link above. For our computer its the "USB_Driver" folder within the EXE FILES --> Sure Cuts A Lot 2 directory
This will force Windows to use this older driver instead of the more recentl driver it thinks should work.
Restart computer

After restarting, you computer should be using the old USB driver and SCAL2 in Windows XP mode and should cut just fine.
bluegrassgrl03

Post by bluegrassgrl03 »

In addition to the steps that aspencer80 outlined to run in compatibility mode and use the correct version of the driver, I had to do the following steps as well to basically tell my Win10 computer to run an old program (my PC is 64-bit, but the SCAL2 software needs to run as 32-bit). Until I did the following step, my Cricut Personal (firmware v1.1) kept getting hung up at the "Checking Mat" steps (or, using some other driver versions, got stuck at the "Starting Connection" step).

The steps are at this web site, but here are the steps in case the web page is taken down.
https://appuals.com/how-to-install-32-b ... NlWUhFlRhw

1. In the Windows taskbar search, type in “Control Panel” and click on the first option.

2. Click on the “Programs” option and then select “Turn Windows Features ON or OFF” button.

3. Check the box for “Internet Information Services” and click on “OK“. Windows will start to enable the features, wait for the process to be completed.

4. In the Windows taskbar search, type in “Internet Information Services” and click on the first option.

5. Click on the “Internet Information Services” option

6. Double click on the “Desktop” option in the left pane.

7. Double click on “Application Pools“.

8. Right–click on the “Default Application Pool” option and select “Advanced Settings“.

9. Under the “General” heading, click on the “Enable 32–bit Applications” option and change its status in the dropdown on the right to “True” and click on “OK”.

I didn't have to reboot - I just launched the existing install and it worked!!!