Eclips2 vrs New Cricut Explore

For your help and questions
CMA

Eclips2 vrs New Cricut Explore

Post by CMA »

Does anyone know if there is a comparison on those 2 machines?
papasue

Re: Eclips2 vrs New Cricut Explore

Post by papasue »

As far as I know scal does not work with cricut products so a comparison of software is not possible.

As far as the cutters go perhaps someone with both machines and software to cut with them might come along and provide some insight for you.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
alliellis

Post by alliellis »

Leo from svgcuts has done a speed comparison which showed that the Cricut took twice as long to complete the cut on one of their files.
There is no comment on the quality of the cuts though. I think they all performed well on that. The video is posted on Facebook Ecal users page
Allison

SCAL 2.012, INKSCAPE, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, WINDOWS 7. Sizzix eclips, ECAL

http://www.craftoutloud.co.uk
craftsbyalli.blogspot.com
sandyj

Post by sandyj »

I purchased an explore when it first came out and returned it 2 weeks later.

The explore is made to work ONLY on-line. The software (design space) is hosted on-line, all your files are saved on-line and any images you purchase from provo craft are accessed on-line. Nothing is on your computer except a link to design space and drivers. All designing and cutting is done when you are connected to the internet. If you have a bad connection, can't get into design space or your isp is down, you can't use the machine.

As for cutting, it did as well as my eclips 2 and cameo, but not (imo) better. The machine itself is made to be simple - you turn the dial to whatever material you are cutting and press the button. As an experienced die cutter, I found this both simple and annoying. Nice to just turn the button to 'vinyl' but annoying as there is very little control over the settings making it difficult to 'tweek' when you are having a problem.

Design space (imo) is really made to manipulate existing cricut images. You CAN import svgs, but design space has no real design tools - they just came out with 'slice' which is nothing more than subtracting one object from another, something I consider to be a very basic tool. I've read on the discussion board that folks who have called in to PC have been told that design space isn't made for designing and recommended using inkscape. It groups same colored items on the same cutting mat, but you have no control over where the items are placed on the mat unless you do your own arranging and grouping them together BEFORE sending them to be cut. I found working with design space to be trying and frustrating.

The explore has dual heads, which is what I was most interested in, but the second head only holds specifically sized inks pens or the scoring tool. I found the scoring lines (which were very light but serviceable) didn't QUITE line up where I needed them.

I found all this to be a deal breaker. If you have a lot of cartridges, the explore may be worth is as it cuts better than the expression. However, it can't just directly from the carts, the cart spot is just for linking cartridges to your on-line account. Once linked, no one else can do so, making it useless to other explore users and killing any resale value.

IF PC came out with resident, desktop software, I MIGHT revisit the machine. But even then, it isn't (imo) all that special in the long run and not worth trying to get around PC control issues.
CMA

Post by CMA »

After I posted the question I saw Leo started to compare. I am using old cricut with Scal2. I have been thinking about upgrading to a new cutter. I am not invested in cricut only have a few cartridges as I have been using SVG's. I was mostly interested in accuracy and software ease of use. Since I have been using Scal2 it wont be hard to jump to scal3 or ecal (which would I even need ecal with scal3). I have seen many posts on line with happy cameo users and also tons of free silhouette files. I know SVGCUTs are big fans of eclips. At this point like many I don't trust Provo Craft and I don't like that they don't want to play with others. I am watching Leo's comparisons and looking forward to a cut compare. Thanks to all who replied.