Different cutting files?

For your help and questions
TheLadyWolf
Location: Washington, SAHM, Cricut Expression, SCAL 2.0, Savvy with Inkscape and creating new SVGs

Different cutting files?

Post by TheLadyWolf »

Hi,
I am wondering if you use SVGs, or other formats for your cutting machine? I'm hearing more about "DXF" formats. Please vote which format you use. So I can get a better idea what's mainly the most popular one for cutting machines.

I feel like this is a dumb question since I'm posting on a SCAL forum. Maybe you'll surprise me....... So I'm gonna go ahead and submit this post. :oops:
Rosie0530

Re: Different cutting files?

Post by Rosie0530 »

I use svgs.

wynnepam

Post by wynnepam »

Me too.
papasue

Post by papasue »

I use svg. I also use jpg and png to trace in scal.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

I think svg is the common file type.

But to use the Silhouette studio software (without upgrading to the Designer Edition), folks are searching for the dxf file extension.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

svg here to. There are some that make their files and save in several formats. I don't have the time to do that or the machine to cut the other formats, so svg works for me.
Sandy in PA
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

SVG files should be used for cutting whenever possible since dxf files are inherently very heavy with nodes on curves. Some programs can't use svg files though and dxf is one of the formats that Inkscape can save that can often be used by them. Originally I only posted svg files, but I had enough requests for dxf that now I usually post both svg and dxf formats.