SCAL2 patch for cutting error on OSX 10.9, 10.10, 10.11

For your help and questions
amyyvonne

Re: SCAL2 patch for cutting error on OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Post by amyyvonne »

I am having the same issue since I upgraded my OSX to Maverick.
Isadora

Post by Isadora »

Please provide a diferent link. This one is not working
nataliefstewart

Post by nataliefstewart »

I'm heartbroken! New Mac, jumped through hoops trying to figure out how to get a new serial number for my SCAL2 software after recycling my old Mac and not taking software off, and now it's all hooked up but I'm getting the "error occured when trying to cut" message. Please tell me that someone has a fix!! Pleeeeease!! :(
papasue

Post by papasue »

If you read the first page of this post there are things you need to do to get scal2 to work on Mavericks. If you did all those things and read the ones that said didn't work and then the ones that did work and you are still having problems you need to contact support on the CraftEdge.com site.

It appears to be a bit tricky but it does eventually work. I hope you get it figured out so you can get back to cutting.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
nataliefstewart

Post by nataliefstewart »

Thanks so much!! I got it to work! Yay!!!
kittykat15821

Post by kittykat15821 »

Could someone please help! I have used this patch several times to make my cricut work, but for some reason this time it's not working at all. I'm not sure what else to do! I keep getting the message "an error occured while trying to cut". I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!!
MichelleCarline

Post by MichelleCarline »

So the patch does not work for me. Am I now out of options? Will I have to buy a different cutter. What's my next step?
SoFlaGuy

Post by SoFlaGuy »

Apparently the Mavericks upgrade updated the USB driver to make it incompatible with SCAL. There is another option which is a patch made by the "FTDI D2XX driver." I could not download the patch discussed in this thread, but the creator's of the driver made a patch that worked perfectly, and you don't need to keep it upon with an error message. Run it, click "disable" and it worked perfectly.

This page describes it perfectly and has the driver link:

http://www.dmxis.com/os-x-mavericks-iss ... how-buddy/

Good luck!!!
fiveaugers

Re: SCAL2 patch for cutting error on OSX 10.9, 10.10

Post by fiveaugers »

This patch worked for me today after I upgraded to Yosemite. Have not upgraded my laptop yet to know if Yosemite has problems with ecal yet but it sure worked for SCAL2. Thank you so much Craft Edge for your speedy response to my email! You guys are awesome!
timhood

Re: SCAL2 patch for cutting error on OSX 10.9, 10.10

Post by timhood »

Count me as another user that went from "An error occurred..." to cutting successfully. I have an iMac running OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite, the latest update, so it is possible to still get this working even with the latest Mac OS X.

1. Double-click the scal2_mavericks_usb_patch to install the USB driver patch.
2. Start Sure Cutsalot2, design and cut as normal.
3. Quit SCAL2 when done.
4. (Optional) Double-click scal2_mavericks_usb_patch_remove to remove the USB driver patch. If you have issues with other printers not working, you will definitely want to do this. But, if you have no other issues and use SCAL a lot, you may find it more convenient to keep the driver installed. Then, the next time you use SCAL2, you can skip steps 1 and 4.

I'm glad Craft Edge provided this for us, as I haven't used my Cricut Expression enough to justify it becoming a door stop. :)