Cutting mats

For your help and questions
swirliepants

Cutting mats

Post by swirliepants »

I tried to look for the answer before I posted this. But it says that the words are too common. Anyway here is my question. Is there a way to make your own mat or do something about the sticky on the mats? I spent hours drawing and then when I went to cut my paper slid all over the place. I have tried a tip I saw here a while back and cleaned the mats I have with baby wipes, but...
lovebeingamom

Re: Cutting mats

Post by lovebeingamom »

There are lots of posts, I think it might be time for a section on helps....
but to answer your question, yes you can help your mats. I personally like the two way Zip pens. I get the wide tip one at Joanns for a few dollars, run it all over the mat, let it dry a few minutes and then I'm off and cutting again.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

swirliepants

Post by swirliepants »

HeatherM - Thanks so much for the link. I read the first 2 posts in that thread when it was original. I guess sort of why I was looking for it but couldn't find it! So glad there are experts who can help. :D
traywick26

Post by traywick26 »

i use quilt basting spray its a repositional spray work great u can get it at walmart for around 4 dollars a can and it will last along time
teacherchick

Post by teacherchick »

Something that I do is using painters tape (it is the blue kind that looks like masking tape that you put up when you paint) to tape down my paper when the mats are no longer sticky.
swirliepants

Post by swirliepants »

I happen to have zig glue and tried that. I have this old old old mat that hasn't worked for at least a year and now viola super duper sticky!
deliacm

Post by deliacm »

Vellum spray also works, I painters tape the edges and then spray the mat. Works great
Christina
“I do that which I cannot do in order that I may learn how to do it.” ~Picasso
scrappinbykris

Post by scrappinbykris »

I use a mixture of Craft Smart's Off n On Glue & Water and coat my mat with a brush, it works fabulously :) I did try one of the repositionable sprays and found that it was just completely over sticky and tore everything I put on it :( All trial and error I suppose and seeing what works best for your own particular usage of the mats .... happy trialling :) Cheers Kris
Check out my blog for free svgs ....Enjoy :) Kris

http://scrappinbykris.blogspot.com/
cydnewright

Post by cydnewright »

I love Krylon repositional spray and love it more than my original mats. (I have only found this at Michaels). I tape off the edges with masking tape, and I spray 2 or 3 light coats ONLY. Then you are good to go and better than new!
I also tried Elmer's repositional spray and made my mats way too sticky, like someone else mentioned. The Krylon was a much thinner coat, so it worked well.