contact paper question for etching?

For your help and questions
Jennifer

contact paper question for etching?

Post by Jennifer »

I have a question for those who have done etching, can any contact paper be used even if it has a design on it? I wanted to buy a roll do start etching on glass and it had flowers on it. I didnt get it because i wasnt sure if it should be plain or it doesnt matter. Can someone let me know if it makes a difference? Thanks, Jennifer
papasue

Re: contact paper question for etching?

Post by papasue »

Hi, I have done it with both plain and printed contac paper. the etching cream did not make the color run if that is what you are concerned about.

hope you will show off your completed project. Awe luv to see what others create.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Thank you so much. I will definitely show my project if it works out good, i was concerned with the color running through. My daughter's 5th grade graduation is tomorrow so i have to work on something afterword. Just need to run out and get the contact paper this weekend. Thanks for answering so quickly.
Jennifer
papasue

Post by papasue »

I can usually find white at the Dollar store if yo have one. see you soon.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Jax

Post by Jax »

I just saw this post and the Dollar store has nice contact paper but the roll from Walmart I think is a better deal. The contact vinyl is a bit more durable and sticks better to projects, I find. I do sandblasting etching and both dollar tree and Walmart brand withstand a beating. I use 220 aluminum oxide up to 80psi at times and never had an issue of the stuff getting eaten away or ripping. To get it off I soak the glasses in hot water and the adhesive releases nicely without leaving any residue.
If you aren't learning something new everyday you might as well just lie in a grave and wait for death.