Converting a DXF to beable to use in SCAL.

For your help and questions
Rebel works

Converting a DXF to beable to use in SCAL.

Post by Rebel works »

Hi!

We make signs and metal products. We use DXF format in e machine or turbo cad to do our drawings and than take them to the plasma table and cut them. We just got into doing vinyl and I would like to take some of the DXF drawings we have and make them work in SCAL. For the most part they do cut out but for some reason the cutter is following the nodes and making it look messy. We had double lines but fixed that problem but now are on to the nodes. I took it from the folder of turbo cad and put it into inkscape and tried breaking it apart and ungrouping it. It actually WAS alittle better but its still following the nodes and piercing alot more than it should be. It only happens on the files we have drawn in turbocad or emachine. Everything else cuts out perfect. Thank you for taking the time to read this. :) Kristy
Rachell

Re: Converting a DXF to beable to use in SCAL.

Post by Rachell »

bring a dxf file into inkscape and export it as a svg. Inkscape is a free program
Rebel works

Post by Rebel works »

I have done that and it still is choppy and makes unneccessary pierce points because its following the nodes. Instead of it doing a smooth cut like all out other things we have made on the dxf files it doesnt. It cuts them out yes but doesnt look as it should because of the extra pierce points since it's following the nodes and should not be.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Can you post the file so one of us can look at it (if it is not a copyrighted item)?
Sandy in PA
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Rebel,
DXF files are a pain to work with in drawing programs. I work in a Tool and Die shop and every once in awhile, I get a DXF and I have to connect the end points of each segment to make each one a continuous path. I do believe the new versions of Illustrator can do this when you open the files.
Todd
Rebel works

Post by Rebel works »

hi! :)

I have attached a file but please let me know if it is hard to see. :) You can see in the text it constantly piercing it and cutting following the nodes. ;( I just about at my wits end ;)
Attachments
IMG_1506 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1506 (640x480).jpg (154.36 KiB) Viewed 4993 times
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Are there options when you save your DXF files? I know that the regular Inkscape install (no plug-ins) has two options: one results in line segments and one doesn't. Also, if you have a print option it might be possible to print to PDF.
BobSa

Post by BobSa »

Are the individual letters a closed vector or are they a collection of individual short vectors made up of just a start and end node? My old cricut would not cut open vectors without tearing because it would cut a single open ended segment in one letter and then jump to somewhere else and cut a segment and then eventually return to the cut an additional segment in the first letter. Because of blade direction/tracking/returning to the precise node and it looked like crap.
Use the GROUP command in SCAL to get the collection of single segment vectors into a CLOSED vector collection so it will cut the entire letter in one pass.
Sidebar question ... do you do custom plasma or laser cutting of aluminum/stainless,plywood or cardboard? Thanks!
My fun/challenge now is glue-less 3d interlocking structures. - Which I am clues-less about. :)
Example for the season ...