Fonts not 'showing up suddenly - please advise!!!

For your help and questions
MeuCow

Fonts not 'showing up suddenly - please advise!!!

Post by MeuCow »

Some fonts not showing up...never happened before. I launched SCAL this morning (just used it last night) and some fonts (that I used last night) are not showing up. It's just a 'blank box' when I type. They are in the font table to the right, but when I go to type them, no actual letters.
I've opened Microsoft Word and Email and they are there just fine. Examples of these fonts: Myndraine, Miso, Code. Thank you in advance for any help!!! Cindi
MeuCow

Re: Fonts not 'showing up suddenly - please advise!!!

Post by MeuCow »

UGH- I'm freaking out - meant 'NOT' showing up. Suddenly some of my most used fonts are not working. They are showing up in the library but when I go to use them -the box is 'blank'. Help please?
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

What version of SCAL do you have? Is it possible that you have too many fonts intalled?
AshleyNC

Post by AshleyNC »

Hi!
I had the exact same problem!!!

I googled and found a sign makers forum where they had worked it out. It's a problem with the latest round of auto security updates in Windows. (Updates happened on the 13th) It disables the postscript fonts.

I followed their instructions, and voila! my fonts are back!!!

(They also recommended turning off auto updates and switching it to manual, but I'm not sure that would help me since I don't know which ones I need and don't need anyhow.)

Here's what you do:

Go here and follow directions to remove an update- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -an-update

The update you want to uninstall is a security update with this code at the end of it's name: KB2753842.

Here's the thread from the sign forum if you're interested: http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101766

Hope it works for you too!!! I was freaking out.

Ashley
AshleyNC

Post by AshleyNC »

Oh and you'll have to restart after you uninstall it, but it will prompt you to do that anyway.
craftygal0417

Post by craftygal0417 »

Thank you MeuCow and AshleyNC for this info. I didn't even realize some of my fonts didn't show up until I read this thread. I followed the directions and rebooted and they seem to be all there now :D
~Missy~
Eclips, Ecal 1.002, Ink .48, Win 7, Expression, SCAL 2.044
southerncake

Post by southerncake »

I was searching trying to figure out why some of my fonts quit working a month or so ago! I didn't have time before Christmas to try to fix the problem and just had to use alternate fonts. This worked perfectly!! Thanks so much!