Really bummed!

For your help and questions
talanhart

Really bummed!

Post by talanhart »

I have SCAL downloaded to a computer(XP)here at work and it works perfectly. I downloaded SCAL to my Laptop(Vista) and I can't get it to work. It freezes and I have to shut the computer off and turn it on again. I have read everything on here concerning Vista and I can't figure out what's wrong. I know I have to have DS to update my firmware, which I did with the PC here at work, but do I need the DS program on the computer for some reason for SCAL to work? I do not have DS on my Laptop. I am running in XP mode and I disabled Norton. I am using a USB mouse. I tried it without the mouse. The only thing that I read on here that I don't think I have tried is starting SCAL and then turning on my Cricut. Could that be the problem? I have sent Todd an e-mail, but I haven' heard back from him.
Todd
GrammyKrausse

Re: Really bummed!

Post by GrammyKrausse »

This also happened to me and I researched it and they told me I had to run the program in XP. All you have to do is right click on the icon for your software and choose it to run in XP. Mine works fine now.
Grammy
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

I am running in XP mode. That's why I am so bummed. I have tried everything that I have read on this board. It's so frustrating.
Todd
lindamac
Location: Arizona-SCAL1, SCAL2,SCAL3 Inkscape,Silhouette Cameo

Post by lindamac »

I thought you had to have DS on what ever computer you are working on. Have you tried loading DS on your lap top?
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

No, I haven't tried that and that is what I was wondering. That is the only variable that is different from the computer I have at work with SCAL and it works great there.

I just read this at the FAQ page.

8. Is Cricut Design Studio required for "Sure Cuts A Lot" to work?
If your Cricut machine does not have the correct firmware version, you will need to use Cricut Design Studio to update the firmware on your Cricut machine before " Sure Cuts A Lot" can cut properly. There is a free trial version of Cricut Design Studio available to use to update the firmware on your Cricut machine. Other than that, "Sure Cuts A Lot" does not depend on Cricut Design Studio to work.
Todd
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

lindamac wrote:I thought you had to have DS on what ever computer you are working on. Have you tried loading DS on your lap top?
No, you absolutely DO NOT have to have DS on ANY computer in order to run SCAL. The ONLY reason why you might have the DS trial is to update the firmware on your Cricut machine. Once the firmware is updated, it is updated - you do not have to update it from more than computer. ONLY if the firmware has an upgrade might you want to update it again. I do not have DS running on my laptop and I can cut from it using SCAL with no problem.
whimpysue

Post by whimpysue »

i had to have a cookie or something downloaded on my computer before it would work. i got it from this site, but it wouldn't even open before i had that download. do you have enough memory (ram) for the program to run on your laptop?
i hope you find someone more experienced to help you.
wenyd
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Are you thinking the driver for the USB Cable. If you are, I have that downloaded. I am going to try the one thing that I don't think I have tried yet and that's starting SCAL first and then powering up my Cricut. I am having NYE dinner and I really want to cut some Placecards and I don't want to haul my Cricut back to work if I don't have to. I must have Todd really stumped. He usually responds pretty quickly.
Todd
lindamac
Location: Arizona-SCAL1, SCAL2,SCAL3 Inkscape,Silhouette Cameo

Post by lindamac »

Let us know what you find out, talanhart. I was thinking of getting a laptop in the near future. I was also wondering if you have enough virtual memory on your lap top? I am always getting a message that mine is too low and I can't have Inkscape and SCAL up at the same time. I have thousands of graphics on my computer from downloading digital scrapbook paper. It's an addiction. Good Luck!
suziscrapper

Post by suziscrapper »

Not sure if this would help, but it just helped me. I hadn't used my CE on our desktop at all, but knew it worked on my laptop(which I recently added SCAL to w/my license). I wanted to do a big project and use the kitchen table so I brought CE into the desktop and it wouldn't go past Checking Mat no matter what I did. I read about people updating their firmware but knew mine was right, but then I noticed a SCAL update from October on the Craft Edge home page, I did that and IT WORKED!! I just thought I'd mention that to see if that has been done.